Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATI AT6005

The specs on the 6002 are off the charts, so I wouldn't worry too much about the Class A power. I like your idea of adding a 6005 or 6007 later down the line as well.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanks David, that just helped a lot towards making my decision. Another thing that I have read on the forums is the JC1 puts out a lot of heat. My old Hafler got hot but it sounds like the JC1 is almost like a heater. So I won't know until I try it, but I don't know if I want to spend extra money and then regret it because of the heat. As far as the 6002, some of the reviews say that it is not the most beautiful of amps. In fact one review used the word ugly. I do care about looks, but my main concern is about sound quality. Can you give your thoughts on how it looks? Thanks again for the help. Audiophileman.

It's industrial looking, but I wouldn't call it ugly. Frankly, virtually every amplifier box isn't going to win a beauty contest. What's on the inside is what matters most!
    David Vaughn

Thanks David, I agree what is on the inside does matter the most. My last thought is I noticed you also reviewed the Krell Chorus 7200. Can you give me your thoughts as to what you would prefer between that and the 6005 or 6007?

If you want a great performing and looking amp, go for a Pass Labs. Although, I do like the look of the Parasound line.

ATI isn't going to win the beauty contest, but it's rock solid if Class A isn't a priority.

The Krell Chorus 7200 is an outstanding amp, but the ATI is 99% as good for about 30% less (if I'm remembering correctly). It uses iBias technology for it's Class A performance. It's arguably the best sounding amp I've used when paired with a Krell Foundation preamp. If money were no object, I'd go for the 1% extra, but since I have two kids in college, $3000 or so is a ton of money and pays for a quarter for one of the kids

As for the Foundation, it's the best sounding preamp I've heard as well, but it doesn't have Atmos and doesn't handle 4K properly, so I can't use one.
    David Vaughn

The Foundation also needs a pro, or very advanced DIY'er to set up. If memory serves, there is no auto setup like ARC or Audyssey. If it weren't for that, the Foundation would be sitting in my rack. However, I haven't totally ruled it, and/or the matching power amp, out.

I've just spent a nice stack of cash on a new roof and some other home projects. Let me recover a bit.

Thanks for all the help. Audiophileman.

I will correct myself here.

The Krell Foundation has the company's ARES setup software but I know nothing about it. However, unless something has changed, you have to set it up via a computer and there is no on-screen display. I knew there was something different about the unit but it is the lack of an on-screen display not lack of auto setup.