Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I bought the Rush Phase Two collection. It sounds OK, but I was expecting a big difference in the audio quality.

I am streaming it off my home network, via my Oppo BDP-103. I want to do an A/B comparison using a CD copy, but it's going to be tough. My HDMI switching isn't seamless.

It doesn't sound bad, but I was expecting a marked improvement in resolution.

Problem with the Rush sets is volume compression. Phase 2 (I assume you mean "Stage 2" Farewell To Kings - Exit Stage Left?) Other than Moving Pictures the set ranges from DR7-DR9. (DR = "Dynamic Range".) Only Moving pictures is a DR11, which most audiophile consider the minimum acceptable number. There's one site that says DR12 is the minimum, but so far the "conventional Wisdom" is that DR 11 is the maximum acceptable amount of compression.

What I find ironic is the hi-res releases are aimed at a target audience of us; so why would they brickwall them like they do for the mp3 generation?

BTW, that Woodstock 2 I bought is basically a 192/24 bootleg as far as sound. It's awful. I wrote HD Tracks, but they basically just responded with a form letter.

I wish these sites stated mastering engineer, source for the master tape, & something equivalent to the DR range. None of the sites I know of are very transparent regarding the source, & at these prices, I think we deserve that!

Of course the flip side is when hi-res is done right, it's musical Nirvana (& I don't mean the band of that name!). It's gotten really hard for me to play most cd's on my main system (though it still sounds ok on my computer & in my car)

I also have an Oppo (BDP-95); imo they're the steal of the century for audio (& video quality) vs price.

Yes, Stage 2. You describe what I am experiencing, a lack not of resolution but dynamics.

Silly me, but I thought these recordings would be as good as it gets. From memory, they sound no different than the CD versions, but I will have to try and compare. If what you say is true, it makes you why they would limit the dynamic range of a supposedly high resolution recording. By-the-way, where did you get the information about the different dynamic levels? I'm curious, because I usually find very little about the source material of these titles on HDTracks...

You mention Fleetwood Mac Rumors in an earlier thread. I have that on DVD-A, and I find it to be an extremely dynamic, and spacious recording. To me it sounds much better than the CD version, although it is a multi-channel disc. Why can't we get that from all of the titles, listed as high resolution?

Yes, Stage 2. You describe what I am experiencing, a lack not of resolution but dynamics. Silly me, but I thought these recordings would be as good as it gets. From memory, they sound no different than the CD versions, but I will have to try and compare. If what you say is true, it makes you why they would limit the dynamic range of a supposedly high resolution recording. By-the-way, where did you get the information about the different dynamic levels? I'm curious, because I usually find very little about the source material of these titles on HDTracks... You mention Fleetwood Mac Rumors in an earlier thread. I have that on DVD-A, and I find it to be an extremely dynamic, and spacious recording. To me it sounds much better than the CD version, although it is a multi-channel disc. Why can't we get that from all of the titles, listed as high resolution?
    Like yourself, I really wish they would give us this source & mastering information before purchase. I have the Rush set also, & ran it through the "DR Meter" plugin for Foobar 2000. foobar2000

http://dr.loudness-war.info/download...ange_1.1.1.zip

I found the other Fleetwood Mac Hi-rez releases (other than Say You Will) to sound better then the Rumors DVD-A (though the old HD Tracks version is a "DR11" which actually isn't bad) But that's just my opinion! I haven't heard the newer "Super Deluxe" edition at HDTracks yet. My go to version is a Japan SACD. As far as why (This is really my opinion) read up on "the loudness wars". The bean counters don't seem to get that the audiophile target audience that buys these releases doesn't buy into the loudness wars.

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

The Loudness War - YouTube

Turn Me Up! | Bringing Dynamics Back To Music

Loudness war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Loudness Wars: Why Music Sounds Worse : NPR
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 10-02-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Another Pro Studio Masters Sale Ends Wed Night, not sure which time zone:

Enter code at checkout for 15% off IMAGINE
    * Discount applies to all albums site-wide. Expires Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 11:59 PM

FYI, your bank may charge a currency conversion fee if you're in the USA, but PSM is usually $2 cheaper then HD Tracks before any discounts, so there are good deals to be had. I keep looking at Cream Goodbuy (& then I sadly look at my wallet in this economy!)

ProStudioMasters - Audio Uncompromised™ - High-Resolution Audio Downloads

I apologize, first I left the code out, then I put in the wrong code. It's correct now.
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 10-08-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Sale Extended Through 10/13

Quote Originally Posted by moomoomoomoo View Post
    Another Pro Studio Masters Sale Ends Wed Night, not sure which time zone:

Enter code at checkout for 15% off IMAGINE
    * Discount applies to all albums site-wide. Expires Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 11:59 PM

FYI, your bank may charge a currency conversion fee if you're in the USA, but PSM is usually $2 cheaper then HD Tracks before any discounts, so there are good deals to be had. I keep looking at Cream Goodbuy (& then I sadly look at my wallet in this economy!)

ProStudioMasters - Audio Uncompromised™ - High-Resolution Audio Downloads

I apologize, first I left the code out, then I put in the wrong code. It's correct now.
    Above sale extended through 10/13, same code. FYI: I wouldn't really recommend the 2 purchases I made yesterday: Quicksilver - Self Titled (Compressed: "DR8"), & Cream Goodbye - Sounds like like the source was a generation or 2 removed from the master tape; not awful, but not real transparent sounding).

Is it a permanent sale? Another Pro Studio Masters Sale Ends Wed Night, not sure which time zone: Enter code at checkout for 15% off SINATRA * Discount applies to all albums site-wide. Expires Wednesday, October 15, 2014 at 11:59 PM FYI, your bank may charge a currency conversion fee if you're in the USA, but PSM is usually $2 cheaper then HD Tracks before any discounts, so there are good deals to be had. ProStudioMasters - Audio Uncompromised™ - High-Resolution Audio Downloads

If they keep using the same codes, it's perfectly fine with me. I'll keep using it.

Have you heard anything about Privateering, by Mark Knopfler?

If they keep using the same codes, it's perfectly fine with me. I'll keep using it. Have you heard anything about Privateering, by Mark Knopfler?
    I haven't. Feel free to ask at any time, I do have a pretty large HR collection. Found a new site in Germany that sells some of their titles (not all) to Americans. No opinion at this time: www.highresaudio.com/ They seem to be quite a bit cheaper then the others ($15-$18 USD + your bank's currency conversion rate). Edit: while they have a US currency option, & an English language option, every title I've clocked on states it's not currently available for sale in "my country" & I should check back. Shame as they are a bit lower priced, & have some titles I haven't seen elsewhere.
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 10-14-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Here's one observation that I have made about one of the sites you have linked to.

I am considering Rush, Clockwork Angels. If I read the DR ratings correctly, the HD downloads are very similar, if not identical, to the CD version. The LP version pretty much blew the CD and HD download away, in respect to dynamic range.

Here's one observation that I have made about one of the sites you have linked to. I am considering Rush, Clockwork Angels. If I read the DR ratings correctly, the HD downloads are very similar, if not identical, to the CD version. The LP version pretty much blew the CD and HD download away, in respect to dynamic range.
    That would make sense. In most cases they are generally compressing (or not compressing) hi-res & cd similarly (idiots!)

Tom Petty & Paul McCartney are 2 exceptions; I know that with at least a couple of his hi res releases, McCartney offers the choice of compressed or flat transfer.

When it comes to LP, the reason they aren't as loud is because beyond a certain amplitude, the bass literally causes the needle to jump out of the groove; i.e. they can't master them that loud or they wouldn't play! If you happen to remember an old Mountain album called "Flowers Of Evil", side 2 was around 30 minutes. There was a disclaimer on the LP cover that side 2 wasn't as loud as normal for the reason I mention in the previous sentence.

Re Rush: if you can still find the AF SACD of Hemispheres, it is not volume compressed (DR13); I THINK that was the case with the dvd'a's also; but I'm not certain. I just ran a DR on HD Tracks Clockwork for you, I get DR7. Ouch.
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 10-14-2014 at 10:36 PM.