Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Pro Studio Master, Acoustic Sounds & Other Hi-Res Sites Sales

ProStudioMasters Anniversary - 15% off site-wide Through 9/29 Checkout Code = HAPPYBIRTHDAY ProStudioMasters - Audio Uncompromised™ - High-Resolution Audio Downloads

They have some pretty good titles listed. Thanks for posting.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    They have some pretty good titles listed. Thanks for posting.
    You're welcome! I found this forum through your HD Tracks thread showing up on Google. I've been wanting to find a board to discuss the quality of Hi-res releases, & I didn't realize we did that here until today.

I often get flamed on the music board I usually post on for even using the word "brickwalled", so I hope to spend some time here!

Maybe if I understood what brickwalled meant, in audio terms, I might ban you.

I'm kidding, of course. Some people get a little too uptight. What titles have you bought, that sound really good?

Wink

Maybe if I understood what brickwalled meant, in audio terms, I might ban you. 😃
    LOL!
    I'm kidding, of course. Some people get a little too uptight. What titles have you bought, that sound really good?
    There are so many (both good & bad) that I'm best off posting my opinions as I listen. I probably have a better memory of some of the bad badly brickwalled ones (mostly the early Warners sourced from the old DVD-A masters & the most recent round of Rolling Stones. I was also pretty disappointed with Deep Purple Made In Japan. I don't get the point of brickwalling any hi-res release; Aren't we the target audience for the high res releases? And don't most audiophiles hate brickwalling with a passion? Last Hi-res recording I played was Tom Petty Mojo Live 24/48 earlier tonight. It was very good for only being 48, but not revelatory. Musically it smokes, though! Recently also played a Pablo Joe Pass SACD. It was almost too good; on a few tracks he had a slight amount of distortion in his amp, & I was getting worried my speakers were damaged (they weren't). Last night I bought the 2 Bethlehem Duke Ellington's & Eric Clapton Just One Night from the Studio Masters sale. I only played a bit of each, but initial impression was the Ellington's were a little disappointing, & the Clapton was pretty good but not revelatory.
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 09-26-2014 at 12:34 AM.

I had a similar experience with two of my recent purchases from HDTracks.

I never bought Carole King's Tapestry when it was readily available on SACD. Recently I took advantage of one of the sales promotions and bought it, along with Jack Johnson's From Here to Now, to You; both 96/24 titles.

I had pretty high expectations for Tapestry but it sounded very sterile and flat. The Jack Johnson title, on the other had, was very lively with a warm and spacious soundstage. I know these terms are vague at best, but it's the best description I can think of to describe what I hear.

I do not, consider myself any kind of audio expert, much less an audiophile. I just know what I like.

I had a similar experience with two of my recent purchases from HDTracks. I never bought Carole King's Tapestry when it was readily available on SACD. Recently I took advantage of one of the sales promotions and bought it, along with Jack Johnson's From Here to Now, to You; both 96/24 titles. I had pretty high expectations for Tapestry but it sounded very sterile and flat. The Jack Johnson title, on the other had, was very lively with a warm and spacious soundstage. I know these terms are vague at best, but it's the best description I can think of to describe what I hear. I do not, consider myself any kind of audio expert, much less an audiophile. I just know what I like.
    Some of the other HD Tracks that come to mind I've found to be good are any of the Warner "flat transfers" (the Ellingtons, the Joni Mitchells (except Both Sides Now which was sourced from the dvd-a master), all the Fleetwood Macs except the 2 that were sourced from DVD-A masters (Rumors & Say You Will) & some of the Verve Jazz (these really seem to vary in quality; the Bill Evans & Oscar Peterson Verves have been really good, while Billie Holiday & the 2012 Ellington Hodges masters weren't so good (I haven't heard the new 2014 Ellington/Hodges masters, decided to be safe & get the APO SACD's), the Stevie Wonder Innervisions is superb, & as far as discs, the Classic Records Dads & APO SACD's are almost always good. I wish all 3 of the major hi res audio download sites would be more transparent about both the source & the mastering.
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 09-26-2014 at 08:29 PM.

Another Pro Studio Masters 15% off site wide sale; only runs through 11:59 Wed Night (Eastern Time?)

Code: GENIUS

FYI: I learned the hard way, they are in Canada & your bank may charge a small .05%? "ISA Fee" for the currency conversion

I bought the Rush Phase Two collection. It sounds OK, but I was expecting a big difference in the audio quality.

I am streaming it off my home network, via my Oppo BDP-103. I want to do an A/B comparison using a CD copy, but it's going to be tough. My HDMI switching isn't seamless.

It doesn't sound bad, but I was expecting a marked improvement in resolution.