HDMI 2.x / 4K support on Classe SSP-800

Hi,
    I'm choosing between Classe SSP-800 +CA-2300 vs Krell Foundation +Duo 300 for a hybrid stereo/HT system.
    One of the important factors is 4K support, as it's connected to the new Samsung 4K UHD HU9000 TV.

The local distributor in Ukraine states that Classe is planning to provide upgrade kit to HDMI 2.x / 4K "once it becomes relevant". Sounds quite vague and weird to me, as many vendors support it already and 4K content is widely available. Even not very technology-driven company like Krell released an upgrade kit to Foundation 2 months ago...

Does anyone know the ETA for that Classe's upgrade? Would you recommend waiting, or compromise a bit on the sound quality and proceed with Krell instead?

Thanks!

Historically, the "Big Boys" like Classe', Krell, or Meridian do support new technologies. However, they are usually not in a huge rush to do so.

At this point, 4K is slowly building momentum. We are starting to see more displays and components to offer 4K but true 4K content is a bit limited.

My point is, 4K upgrades from those companies may be after there is a solid stream of 4K content available.

It should also be noted that a true 4K standard has not been officially established yet. All of the manufacturers are creating their own based upon the outline posed from the 4K consortium.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    It should also be noted that a true 4K standard has not been officially established yet. All of the manufacturers are creating their own based upon the outline posed from the 4K consortium.
    True, and I don't see the big boys offering 4K upgrades until everything is set in stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    True, and I don't see the big boys offering 4K upgrades until everything is set in stone.
    True, that's what usually happens.
    Although Krell decided to take a chance, and it's probably quite safe one - on the hardware level the supported resolutions and HDMI 2.0 hardware spec are unlikely to change, while everything else including HDCP can be released as a software update later on.
    What really concerns is the price tag of $2500 for the proposed upgrade kit. Correct me if I'm missing details, but it presumably only contains 4 HDMI ports and a common video processor, and not directly related to the expensive sections which are audio-related proc / DAC / pre-amp involving expensive parts and strong IP...