Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

$37,000 For a Stereo Preamp From Greece?

Name:  ypsilon.jpg
Views: 3399
Size:  82.6 KB

HOLY CRAP this preamp is expensive.

I don't care if it puts Krell, Levinson, Audio Research, Classe and Rowland to shame - $37,000

Do you think somebody might be passing on their country's currency issues and inflation to the end user.

Moreover, how many end users are shopping at this level (please exclude Dr. Taraszka as he can't help himself!?

Nevertheless, when you need somewhere to go in your G-650, you can to a factory pickup of this preamp.

--------- From the press release --------

Aaudio Imports, a leading supplier of world class high-end audio products, showcases for the U.S. market Ypsilon Electronics’ PST 100 MKII Stereo Preamplifier, a pinnacle in preamplification and a must-have component for building a no-holds-barred audio system.

The PST 100 MKII is a leading-edge tube preamp that uses two Siemens C3m triode tubes, which are rated for 10,000 hours or about 15 years of operation. It possesses exceptional tonal purity and superior dynamics, and projects a transparent, highly integrated soundstage that creates a you-are-there listening experience.

Preamplifiers are designed for a number of tasks: to draw together multiple source components, to attenuate the signal, to achieve volume control, to provide low enough output impedance to drive the cables, and to provide gain if needed.

Ypsilon's PST 100 MKII creates a you-are-there listening experience
    Conventional wisdom says the active circuit design is its most critical part. Ypsilon believes signal attenuation, or volume control, is the most critical element in a preamp’s overall sound. As a result, Ypsilon developed a special transformer with 31 taps for the PST-100’s signal attenuation. Produced in-house using the very best materials, Ypsilon’s transformer attenuator produces an ultralinear magnetic circuit, for a boost in output power and a much more musical and detailed sound than conventional attenuators. The attenuator achieves a maximum attenuation of 52db, and is placed after the valve stage, preserving the purity and micro details of the signal.

Unlike Ypsilon, most preamp designers use resistor attenuators for volume control. A series resistor transforms the constant voltage into current, and a parallel resistor transforms the constant current into voltage. But Ypsilon believes the materials used in most resistors are far from ideal, and the sound is often noisy.

The PST 100’s active gain stage is a no–feedback, transformer-coupled single-ended triode that achieves a maximum gain of 12 db. The power supply uses valve rectification and choke regulation. The latter, also known as choke filtration, contributes to an amazingly quiet background by preventing distortions in the capacitors from compromising the music signal.

The PST 100 can be operated in purely passive or active modes, which gives listeners the opportunity to maximize the purity and/or strength of the signal. Active mode is the default setting, while passive mode is recommended for use with source components with less than 3k-ohm output impedance. The PST 100’s maximum output impedance is 150 ohms.

The PST 100 comes equipped with one XLR input and one XLR output, unbalanced, in addition to single-ended inputs and one single-ended output, and four pairs of RCA inputs. Custom-made pure silver wiring is used throughout, and a sturdy six-button remote control is included.

The PST 100 MKII Stereo Preamplifier is available now from authorized Aaudio Imports dealers at a suggested price of $37,000 (U.S. MSRP).

And for $37,000 you get ONE balanced input and TWO unbalanced ins? Wow.

No HDMI ins for video pass-through (think: classe)?
    No room correction (think like Wisdom audio or any top AV preamp)
    No DAC inside (think: Classe)
    No Airplay
    No .1 output for a subwoofer

Really guys?

Really?

Not enough styling to warrant $37k no matter how good it sounds!

For 37K, I would want to be put up in a quaint little sea side villa in Greece, for the better part of the summer, in addition to the pre amp.

I think they are selling greek islands for $37000 at auction these days.

Name:  166997-529649-667L811GGP.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  31.1 KB

Here's a house listed for 570,000 Euros (negotiable - no kidding).

Nice view. Nice pool.

I wonder if they would take $37,000 for it?

Killer view !!!
    $770,355.00 USD at the current conversion rate, 1 euro = 1.3515 US dollars. I bet it could be yours for the summer for $37,000

Humorous. Maybe they're hoping to solve Greece's debt issues by selling over priced AV equipment.

I'm actually Greek myself and my dad just came back from Greece fixing up the summer home. He spent $22,000 in major upgrades in building a garage for the car, and revamping the grounds and landscaping. Now Greece being an outdoors type of country with over 3000 hours of sunshine per year, and our home being 180m from the beach, how much of their time would the Greek people donate in staying indoors listening to their $37k pre-amp? Just think about it. How many of the PST 100s do they need to sell to pay off the $350 bln euro debt?

I don't think many PST 100s will be moved in the old country so methinks they are meant for those of us with huge budgets in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and Duluth, Minnesota.

I do believe that they will sell to those who want the no hold's barred ubber high end two channel systems where money is no object. This will go good with the new Dartzeel monoblocks and Focal Grande Utopias.

Lotta fun, lotta fun.

Here's what you do....

Bet long on Greek debt at 27% and then when the economy comes SCREAMING BACK - you can pop for a $37,000 stereo preamp with NO DAC, No sub outputs, only one bal input and two unbal inputs....

OR

You can buy a new Classe CP-800 which has a DAC in it, HDMI switching for video, its going to likely have airplay and it does 4.1 output depending on how you want to configure your system.

Oh, and the Classe is like $30,000 cheaper.