Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

Brent Butterworth Measures The Pioneer (and modified) Subwoofer

For those looking for an interesting read - check this out...

Very interesting read Jerry. Thanks for sharing.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Del Colliano View Post
    For those looking for an interesting read - check this out...
    I found this a very interesting article. Even more, was the article's reference to the "proprietary method to influence and speed up the electron flow of the subwoofer's amplifier". I notice everyone chose to ignore this statement.
    Richard

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

That comment wasn't ignored in the original article.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Del Colliano View Post
    That comment wasn't ignored in the original article.
    You're right Jerry. It wasn't meant as an omission to your article but an indication that no one gave any credence to the statement. Sorry for the confusion.
    Richard

There are ways to speed up electrons that don't require a degree from MIT, or experience working with a Super Collider.

Using a more conductivly efficient wiring would technically provide a path for electrons to travel faster. However, that doesn't equate to better audio performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    There are ways to speed up electrons that don't require a degree from MIT, or experience working with a Super Collider.

Using a more conductivly efficient wiring would technically provide a path for electrons to travel faster. However, that doesn't equate to better audio performance.
    I think you're talking response time through devices as opposed to speeding up electrons.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by k0rww View Post
    I think you're talking response time through devices as opposed to speeding up electrons.
    As you know as a EE, some substances are better at conducting an electrical signals than others. Better conductivity means the electrons can move more easily.

Silver is the best conductor of electricity, with copper being #2. Maybe they changed out all the copper with silver. It has been proven that interconnects that use silver wiring, do indeed sound different. Different, not necessary better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    As you know as a EE, some substances are better at conducting an electrical signals than others. Better conductivity means the electrons can move more easily.

Silver is the best conductor of electricity, with copper being #2. Maybe they changed out all the copper with silver. It has been proven that interconnects that use silver wiring, does indeed sound different. Different, not necessary better.
    Hi Tracy,

You're comments are absolutely right. What I believe the better conductor is doing is providing a shorter distance to travel, i.e. the electron doesn't bounce around as much in its directed path and therefore its effective speed has increased. My physics is rusty and almost depleted, but increasing the charge on an electron will speed up its velocity. However, in circuit board today the distances are so short, I was just questioning whether there was a real practical difference. I was looking at the issue as not slowing down the electron as opposed to speeding it up. This is a seriously complex subject that I will leave to others.
    Richard

Richard, I think when it comes to the difference in copper and silver's conductivity, we're splitting hairs. Even so, it could be a source of their claim.

The fact that there was no measurable difference in the OEM and modified sub leads me to believe it's more creative marketing than anything. Either that or the interior bracing of the enclosure is made of the same wood they use to make those little stands that keep your audiophile cables off the floor. We all know those work wonders on sound, right?