GoldenEar Debuts Triton Five Loudspeaker

Jerry mentioned hearing the new tower speakers from GoldedEar Technology at CES, and how good they sounded.

The Triton Five, joins the current line up of GoldenEar's highly acclaimed Triton line. It is the company's second passive speaker, where much of the other speakers in the Triton line have powered subwoofers.

Silly me, I didn't know they existed, but I just found the press release on HomeTheaterReview.com.

From GoldenEar Technology

GoldenEar's Triton Towers have set new standards for high-end performance and value, winning innumerable major awards all around the world. The Triton One, Two and Three all incorporate built-in powered subwoofers. The Seven was the first Triton Tower without a built-in powered subwoofer. We are now pleased to introduce the Triton Five, a worthy step-up from the best-selling, double Product-of-the-Year winning Triton Seven, debuting at CES 2015.

The new Triton Five is a larger version of the Seven, with greater dynamic range and even deeper bass extension. In addition, several important refinements carried over from the Triton One development program result in even better imaging as well as a more sophisticated overall sonic presentation. Like the Seven, it achieves superbly deep, very impactful bass performance by combining advanced technology drivers with our highly evolved and sophisticated bass-loading technologies. And, as with all of our Triton Towers, the Triton Five is also ideal for use in two-channel systems of the highest quality, as well as complete multi-channel surround music and home theater systems.

The Five's unique cabinet shape is both acoustically purposeful as well as strikingly attractive. Its stylish rearward rake both aligns the driver array precisely to ear level at the listening position, as well as results in non-parallel front and rear baffles for better control of internal standing waves. And, of course, the non-parallel side cabinet walls and slanted top provide the same acoustical performance benefits, as well as looking great. The Five's precise and totally box-less imaging characteristics are further enhanced by the narrow front baffle, as well as the diffraction-less designer grille cloth sock which adds additional sheer damping to the cabinet. In addition, the beautifully sculpted piano-gloss black base adds significantly to the Five's dynamic stability.

Like the Triton One, Two, and Seven, the Five combines a D'Appolito Array of two high-definition bass/midrange drivers, which surround the same, now famous High Velocity Folded Ribbon Driver, used in the rest of the Tritons as well as all GoldenEar loudspeakers. The HVFR tweeter functions by pressurizing the air, rather than pushing and pulling it, for much better impedance matching with the air. This results in superb extension combined with a silky smooth non-fatiguing character, which is both unique and extraordinary. The spiderleg cast-basket 6" bass/midrange drivers are based on the 6" driver originally developed at our Arnprior engineering facility, for the award-winning Aon 2. They have been specifically designed for an exceptionally long-throw in order to achieve tremendous dynamic range and extraordinarily deep bass response. In addition, their precisely curved cone combined with a specially formulated polypropylene cone material and a unique apical glue bonding technique delivers superb high-definition midrange clarity and presence.

Like the Triton One, the Five incorporates four side-mounted sub-bass radiators (two on each side, in an inertially balanced configuration) that are located down near the floor for optimum coupling to the room. This tremendous increase in infrasonic bass coupling area, relative to the Seven, along with the larger cabinet and larger drivers delivers low-distortion subwoofer quality bass from a sleek, attractively sized, passive speaker. And, of course, the same Frequency Dependent Damping bass loading technology developed for the Seven is also incorporated in the Five. Additionally, the Five utilizes our unique balanced crossover topology technology, first developed for the One, along with polypropylene capacitors, for ultra-high-resolution capability. Matching surrounds, height speakers for Atmos installations, and center channels are available.

Triton Five Specifications:
    • Speaker Dimensions: 8 ⅛" W x 12 ⅜ " D x 44 ¼" H (Base: 11" W x 16 ½" D)
    • Weight: 40 lbs
    • Frequency Response: 26 Hz-35 kHz
    • Efficiency: 90 dB
    • Driver Complement:
    Two 6" high-definition cast-basket drivers
    Four 8" planar sub-bass radiators
    One High-Velocity Folded Ribbon Tweeter

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

They were fucking awesome.

So good for the $$$.

Others got good in this price range too. New $2000 and $1500 revels that I JUST SAW. RBH. SVS

I know that Dennis Burger was WOWed by the Triton Ones, enough so to buy his review pair apparently.

He gave the Fives a gushing CES mini review as well.

Banned!!!

Sandy Gross is a legendary Speaker Designer/ Builder. His resume includes his partial ownership of Polk Audio, Definitive Tech.
    He has single handily, revolutionized Speaker design & build.

As a result of him being at Def Tech, it was Sandy's idea to no longer be involved in the actual manufacturing of his Speakers.
    He came up with the idea to meet with a certain piano manufacturer. At the time, with the downturn in business for piano maker's, they wanted to open up another area to make up for the decrease in business. At that time, Sandy wanted to have another company put together his Speaker's. Sandy wanted to concentrate on the design of new speaker systems. When Sandy made the deal with the Piano manufacturer, it was agreed upon that all parts including speakers, crossover networks, etc were shipped to their facility to be put together and for them to build the cabinets. If you look at the cabinets on most Def Tech speakers, you will see a black lacquored piano finish (beautiful). This new business plan worked to a tee.

The reason I know this is because at the time, I was doing a system for one of Sandy's buddy's who lives here in Owings Mills, Maryland very close to where Sandy, his buddy, and I all live. Matthew Polk also lives within a few miles from here as well.

Since Sandy opened GoldenEars, they eliminated the black piano finish. They went to a more utilitarian cabinet. I believe they wanted to concentrate on the highest quality Audiophile performance. The highest quality drivers, crossover networks, and best designs. They upped the bar in terms of imaging, very low distortion, three dimensional sound quality, etc. Thje less expensive cabinet material saves money. Adso, the black piano finish was very fragile, easily scratched. Goldenears, with it's cintinuopusly growing Triton line has set the bar so high, that it's difficult for other companies to compete. Their subwoofer amplifiers are exceptional; also the folded ribbon tweeter with ultra low distortion, driver's with incredible dynamic range. Considering Sandy's reputation & skills, how much better can he make them. He has turned the speaker world sideways.

I am recently considering retiring my Apogee Calipers (32 yrs old) and really wanting to hear the new 5s.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    I am recently considering retiring my Apogee Calipers (32 yrs old) and really wanting to hear the new 5s.
    JR
    You might want to contact the guys at the Antiques Roadshow.

The only GoldenEar speakers I have heard is the Triton Twos. I was really impressed with their imaging.

I'm also considering the 2s, I like the added height. Everyone seems to comment on their superb imaging. Dispersion is the only down side I've read, but don't care since I'm the primary user. As previously mentioned, Decisions decisions. Will have to see if my local Listen Up manager wants my trade ins.
    JR