Dual HSU Subwoofer Review

Hsu Research VTF-15H MK2 and VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofer Reviews | Sound & Vision

Robert Southey was an English poet and author whose version of the fabulous children’s story “Goldilocks and the Three Bears” was the first one published, in 1837. While the tale has entertained kids for 177 years, little did Southey realize that his story is a fitting metaphor for modern subwoofers. Like the three bears’ porridge, chairs, and beds, subwoofers come in all shapes and sizes, and finding the one that’s “just right” for your particular room can sometimes require sampling different subs and room positions in order to get the best bass response.

Poh Ser Hsu immigrated to the United States from Singapore to get his graduate degree in civil engineering in the early 1980s and began making subwoofers soon after. Like many American success stories, Dr. Hsu turned his hobby into a new career in 1991 when he started selling his cylindrical subwoofers via mail order. And when use of the Internet exploded later in the decade, he was in the right place at the right time to sell his goods to a much wider audience, as the home theater boom was just beginning with the launch of DVD. He eventually moved away from tubular designs and into more conventional boxes, but his goal of reproducing deep and accurate bass response has never wavered.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Great in-depth review, David. Thanks for posting it.

I wonder if Dr. Hsu would come to my house?

Banned!!!

I had sold HSU up until they decided to sell -predominatly on the internet. I still own a number of HSU Subs including the cylindrical HSU TNN 1220 (2) with HSU 500 watt Sub amp. I love them. I have met Dr. HSU several times at CEDIA. I had some nice conversations with him. A nice gentleman. Candy still works for him.

David - Loved the Hsu subwoofer review. I have been a long time fan of Hsu subs and still use an old VTF-2 (with new electronic guts) in my 7:1 HT. While I have entertained the notion of adding another sub (my Marantz SR6007 does have dual sub outs), the only available non trip hazard location in my HT is "end table" to the main listening position sofa. My two-sub fear has always been of being too boomy, particularly when placed so close to the primary listening spot. To obtain optimum sound and LFE for movies, I must currently turn up my primary sub for movies but then must turn it back down for detailed music listening.

One possible solution is to pair a Mid Base Module with my primary subwoofer. I noticed that Hsu sells a MBM-12 MK 2 (down firing, same as my VTF-2), which may give me what I want (more clean base in the 50z - 80z range) but I cannot locate any relevant information or reviews on a MBM supplement to a primary sub. Do you, or any of the other HTR contributors, have any experience with or thoughts about using a MBM? I realize that I can demo but would have to pay coast-to-coast freight. Any suggestions?

Dave,

I'm actually using the VTF 15H MK2 in a near field position as if it were an end table. My son puts his popcorn bowl and drink on there all the time (with a proper cloth protecting the black finish) and it's not boomy at all. If you can afford it, go big or go home
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Dave,

I'm actually using the VTF 15H MK2 in a near field position as if it were an end table. My son puts his popcorn bowl and drink on there all the time (with a proper cloth protecting the black finish) and it's not boomy at all. If you can afford it, go big or go home
    You could have just said that you have no experience with a MBM. Going big is all well and good in search of ultimate LFE for movies but can be counterproductive for detailed music reproduction. Anyway, I am happy to hear that your family is pleased with your two sub HT.

Dave...sorry about that. I don't have experience with the MBM, so I was offering an alternative
    David Vaughn

My Hsu 1225 cylinder behind me combined with my new GE2s in front, have actually scared me a few times!
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Dave,

David,
    I am curious about the near field subwoofer position. Have you placed any bass traps near your VTF 15H MK2? Do you intend to?

No I haven't. It's midway along a 30 foot wall and would be nearly impossible given my room constraints.
    David Vaughn