Loudspeaker Placement

Hello! Cody from TARA Labs here again!

As I'm sure all of you well know, loudspeaker placement can be of paramount importance when trying to optimize tonal balance, soundstage depth, imaging, clarity,etc. A great deal of thought, time, and effort was put in to positioning the components of our listening room. Some of the factors to consider were: the proximity of the loudspeakers to the walls, the listening height of the stand-mounted loudspeakers,the angling of the loudspeakers towards the listener, and much more.I would be curious to know which are the most important factors you all personally take in to account when positioning your components?

Hope you all have a great day!
    Last edited by Cody@TARA; 01-26-2015 at 11:56 AM.

I would suspect that most people place their speakers where it it convenient, or where they think they look good.

My main left and right speakers are about 2.5 feet out from the wall where my screen is mounted, and toed in towards the main seating area. My surrounds, which are also towers, are on either side of the sofa, opposite the screen. This is not the ideal placement for them, but I have little choice due to my room.

If I had in ceiling speakers for the surrounds it would be a different story, but they wouldn't be a tonal match to my front sound stage.

It's a compromise for sure.

Banned!!!

Tracy: I would also add that I am a big believer in wide separation of your speakers. One example: My deck, which is approx. 40' X 20'; my outdoor speakers are approx 35' apart. No matter where you are on the deck, you distinctly here great stereo separation.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

Long ago I was taught how to setup speakers by Wilson. Its a good method but when Bob Hodas does it he uses a Meyer Sound SIM system to measure results along with a laser setup tool for more accuracy. Its an even better way to go.

Then the cleaning lady can move your speakers and it all goes out the window right??

Quote Originally Posted by Cody@TARA View Post
    I would be curious to know which are the most important factors you all personally take in to account when positioning your components?
    Hope you all have a great day!
    Wife

JR

As JR said.

My mains are only about 20 degrees off center and against the wall. I know its not the best, but its good enough to keep everyone happy!

Quote Originally Posted by LookingUp View Post
    As JR said.

My mains are only about 20 degrees off center and against the wall. I know its not the best, but its good enough to keep everyone happy!
    Life is often a compromise. Keep the wife happy and get great sound, when you can.