Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PSB

Paul Barton, founder of PSB speakers received a Life Time Achievement Award..

https://www.avsforum.com/psb-speaker...evement-award/
    Main/2nd/3rd System
    AVR Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V1900/RX-V1500
    Turntable ProJect Xpression III with Ortofon Red
    Cassette Deck Yamaha KX-800U/
    KX-800U/KX-630
    BluRay Yamaha BD-S681/Sony UBP-X800
    Media Player Iomega + 1TB internal drive/WD TV Live Plus + 3TB USB drive
    Display Samsung UN65KU6491 65"/UN55MU7000 55"
    Speakers Front:PSB Image T-45/400/Alphas,Center:PSB Image 8C/100C,Surrounds:PSB Image 1B/RBH A600
    Subwoofer Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 5/Energy XL-S8

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I read that announcement. Very deserved.

I found the press release:

Toronto, Ontario October 20, 2018 – Paul Barton, Founder and Chief Designer for PSB Speakers, received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Toronto Audio Fest. Recognized for his decades of groundbreaking research and numerous contributions to the loudspeaker industry, Barton was feted at an open reception on the last night of the event. The award is the “Inukshuk” a sculpture depicting a human made of piled stones. It recalls a native Inuit term meaning, in the image of a human and as one who leads the way.The award was presented to Mr. Barton by Gord Simmonds, President and CEO of Lenbrook and owner of the PSB brand, who commented, “Paul Barton is a true pioneer in every sense of the word. His decades of research at the NRC has helped shape the loudspeakers we know and enjoy today. Even more remarkable is that Paul is still the Chief Designer of PSB, breaking new ground and doing his best work ever.”Paul Barton founded PSB Speakers in 1972 with the aim of producing loudspeakers that would offer accurate, natural sound. In 1974, Mr. Barton met and began to work with the legendary Dr. Floyd Toole who was conducting research on loudspeakers and listeners’ perception of loudspeaker sound quality at Canada’s National Research Council facilities. In due course, PSB became the world’s first manufacturer to develop new loudspeaker designs from start to finish at the NRC—a practice that continues to this day. Over the years, PSB loudspeaker designs have consistently received critical acclaim and have won numerous awards both for sound quality and value for money.About LenbrookThe Lenbrook Group of Companies is a privately held Canadian corporation who are the owners of NAD Electronics, PSB Speakers and Bluesound and the developer of the BluOS connected, high-resolution audio, multi-room platform and music management interface. Formed in 1978, Lenbrook initially was a national distributor of consumer electronics and communications products in Canada and has grown to become a leading global supplier of a premium audio brand into 80 countries around the world.

Big fan of PSB speakers !
    Great to hear that the founder received this award. Makes me feel like I made the right choice when I bought my PSB Towers (Model 600) back in 1996. LOL.
    They still sound great after all these years.
    I have LCR by PSB.
    Surrounds and Sub by Atlantic Technology. And hoping to switch surrounds and sub to PSB brand sometime in the future.
    If anyone wants to chime in with their recommendations for PSB surrounds and sub (without breaking the bank) please do !!
    Thanks,
    Vince

Anyone familiar with Melvin Taylor and The Slack Band's rendition of "Texas Flood" ? Its a very deep bass heavy song. The PSB 400s that I purchased seemed to sound flabby and one notish during the lower notes unlike the PSB Original Alphas which seem tight and controlled, just not as much output is all. I had bought the speakers used and thought maybe they had been abused even though during the audition before purchasing them, I didn't hear any anomalies. The problem was with engaging the MP3 enhancer on my AVR which over drove the woofer in the bass department. When I switched out of that format and went to straight mode (which includes YPAO multipoint room correction) or pure direct which eliminates YPAO, the bass was clean and tight, with bass levels a lot lower than with MP3 enhancer engaged. They produce much more bass than the Alphas.
    Main/2nd/3rd System
    AVR Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V1900/RX-V1500
    Turntable ProJect Xpression III with Ortofon Red
    Cassette Deck Yamaha KX-800U/
    KX-800U/KX-630
    BluRay Yamaha BD-S681/Sony UBP-X800
    Media Player Iomega + 1TB internal drive/WD TV Live Plus + 3TB USB drive
    Display Samsung UN65KU6491 65"/UN55MU7000 55"
    Speakers Front:PSB Image T-45/400/Alphas,Center:PSB Image 8C/100C,Surrounds:PSB Image 1B/RBH A600
    Subwoofer Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 5/Energy XL-S8