Selling my Marantz AV8801

My Marantz AV8801 is up for sale over at AVS: For Sale: Marantz AV8801 - Mint Condition - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Send me a message if interested.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

What are you buying to replace it?

8802 most likely. I will be installing my Atmos speakers this weekend and have the 8802 in for review. I don't think it will be leaving
    David Vaughn

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

You should audition the Krell and the Classe.

More money but you get a good deal as a reviewer.

The Krell and Classe aren't packing Atmos yet but will by end of the year. From an audio perspective and I've compared the Krell with the Marantz when I did the Krell review - its not even close.

I loved the Krell Foundation and I totally agree. I will say this...the 8802 closes the gap considerably.
    David Vaughn

So I had an 8801, I replaced it with a used SSP-800, dual processor and the dealer did the upgrade to 1.4.

No idea if they will launch software for Atmos... if they do maybe I'll give it a whirl but then I'd need another amp.

I purchased the SSP-800 with a CA 5200.

Honestly, I have been in heaven ever since. I've had ZERO thoughts of upgrading at all. Paired with my Salk Soundscape 8's - done deal for me (have the SS7 center also).

Nice thing for me on the SSP-800 is that it had 5 months warranty remaining and it was transferable (since I got the original receipt). It went to Classe for a touchscreen repalcement (fully covered) and they went over the entire unit.

It's smooth and detailed all at the same time. I never thought that was possible. It's incredible. The CA5200 is a beast. WAY more than I need for my rears, but for the front 3 it is spectacular.

I liked the 8801, but felt it was a bit bright at louder volumes (but it did a lot right). Musically, the Classe has been no comparison. For me, music matters most.

For the price, the 8801 is a bargain. That being said, the Krell blew it away on two-channel music and I'm sure the SSP-800 will as well. Does the 8801 sound bad? Absolutely not! The Krell just sounds better (with an over 50% premium in cost too!).
    David Vaughn

When you make that large of a jump in price, I would full expected to be blow away by the difference.