Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In wall Speaker conundrum

In my smaller media room I am having a problem with replacing my 20-year-old B and W speakers. The speakers have worn out. But I had the wall apparently made to fit a size of 12" x 9" worth of speaker. It will be very expensive to enlarge the holes The three front speakers are in. Does anyone know a good brand of good speakers that would fit and sound really good? Believe it or not I have stomped my two local audio dealers. Each one wants me to take out the walland do major construction work which I don't want to do
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I wouldn't think that enlarging the hole would be that big a deal. All it takes is a way to measure, a pencil and a small hand-held drywall saw. I would imagine the speakers come with a template.

Check out Episode in-walls. Episode Speakers - Architectural

The 700 series requires a 9.6"X21" cutout.
    The 500 series would be smaller than your current hole.
    The 900 series would work also, but require a larger opening.

Banned!!!

Barry: I think these In Wall speakers should work for you: Niles HD 8 or HD-8.3. Very good speakers. Go to: Niles Audio Web site

Jeff and Tracy, thanks. I'll look into t ASAP
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

Why not get more B&Ws?

If not - how about Noble Fidelity? I will have Greg work with you directly. One of our best clients and TOPS with customers.

I am using Sonance in my house.

Thank you Obi Wan Colliano! I will take you up on your offer. Please, please have Greg get in touch with me.

But you should know:
    I had my dealer come with Sonance, which he recommended, but it would NOT fit into the "holes" that I have. Apparently I am kind of stuck on that size. We looked at B and Ws but they no longer make them that size. So I'll try the Noble Fidelity and speak to Greg. My email is lefisc@verizon.net, I assume you still have my phone number because you were wonderful in helping me with my great, really great sub woofers.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

What kind of walls do you have? It sounds like they aren't drywall?

Tracy, I don't know what kinds of walls they are, but they apparently have beans in them that are preventing easy expansion. When the people came with the Sonanace speakers just a few weeks ago, they said I need a contractor to come in and open the walls up. The contractor said it was a big job and I would need to have a paint job afterwards. That ran into a lot of money. I'll try another dealer, but if I can get speakers that fit i might be better off.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Did you ever find a solution?

Banned!!!

I've done tons of in wall & in ceiling speakers over the years. I agree with Tracy> Maybe your walls are plaster. How damn old is your house? The depth of the usable wall space should be about 3 1/2". Most in walls will work with that. Also, can you measure the depth of the actual wall material? Normally, vertical studs are every 16". What are your walls made of? Some brands offer relatively small In Wall speakers that are very high quality. You could use smaller In Walls with smaller woofers (say 5" woofers. You will derive most of your bass from your Subwoofer (s). Not to worry. Besides Episode Speakers, I also use Niles Audio, Pinnacle, etc. Good luck. Please keep us informed.