Keyboard for Controlling HTPC?

My Plex server rarely needs any real mouse and keyboard interaction, except when it does...

I'm looking to have a small keyboard handy that I can pull out whenever the need arises. Ideally, it's really small. Small enough to be stashed in an end table drawer when not in use.

I was looking at the Logitech Wireless Touch keyboard, and was wondering if anyone had experience with it? Battery life needs to be good too, since it'll sit unused for months at a time.

Any other recommendations?

Update: Ok, wow. A bit more searching, and I think I've found the smallest keyboard I've ever seen, the Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad. It doesn't look all that much bigger than a Blackberry keyboard, so I doubt it's made for fast typing, but I just need something in a pinch.

Any chance someone here has used one before?
    Last edited by philex; 02-26-2015 at 08:11 PM.

Im using Logitech k830 along with Yatse and BubbleUpNp apps
    Main HT: Panasonic 60" VT60, Tekton Pendragon w/ Mundorf capacitors & resistors & Subwoofer, Klipsch Center & Surrounds, Yamaha RX-A2030, Logitech Harmony 900
    HTPC: Phenom II x3 740BE unlocked quad-core @3.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, 2x 1TB Samsung F3, 1x 3TB WD Caviar Red, GTX 650 Ti Boost, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Burr Brown OP Amps, LG Blu Ray Burner, Kodi, Plex, Yatse, Bubble UPNP, Handbrake, Ashampoo Burning Studio
    Alternate HT: Samsung 51" F8500, Roku 1, Emotiva Mini-X, Old Bose Bookshelfs

I'm using this keyboard for my HTPC:
    IOGEAR Multimedia Keyboard with Laser Trackball and Scroll Wheel, 2.4GHz Wireless GKM561R.

The track ball works very well.

In my case the HTPC's utility has been taken over by a QNAP NAS. It does have one function that's not available in commercial Blu-ray players; it can skip past anything on the movie screen.
    Last edited by k0rww; 02-27-2015 at 02:18 AM.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by k0rww View Post
    I'm using this keyboard for my HTPC:
    IOGEAR Multimedia Keyboard with Laser Trackball and Scroll Wheel, 2.4GHz Wireless GKM561R.

The track ball works very well.

In my case the HTPC's utility has been taken over by a QNAP NAS. It does have one function that's not available in commercial Blu-ray players; it can skip past anything on the movie screen.
    Interesting, that might be the perfect size for me. That mini keyboard I linked to above just looks too small.

Our daughter installed an app on her phone and school computer, that makes the phone a keyboard and mouse.

I forget the name, but it works really well and was free. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by philex View Post
    Interesting, that might be the perfect size for me. That mini keyboard I linked to above just looks too small.
    If that looks too small then forget about this Lenovo one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...8K96PC28R6JKGA

Quote Originally Posted by philex View Post
    My Plex server rarely needs any real mouse and keyboard interaction, except when it does...

I'm looking to have a small keyboard handy that I can pull out whenever the need arises. Ideally, it's really small. Small enough to be stashed in an end table drawer when not in use.

I was looking at the Logitech Wireless Touch keyboard, and was wondering if anyone had experience with it? Battery life needs to be good too, since it'll sit unused for months at a time.

Any other recommendations?

Update: Ok, wow. A bit more searching, and I think I've found the smallest keyboard I've ever seen, the Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad. It doesn't look all that much bigger than a Blackberry keyboard, so I doubt it's made for fast typing, but I just need something in a pinch.

Any chance someone here has used one before?
    I must be a keyboard junkie. I had/have all of them.

The mini with the touchpad - very small & you can power it off so batteries will last. In fact, I just powered it on after it has sat in my drawer for over a year or more. Still has a charge. Just too darn small to really type on but not bad if you are keying in a movie search

The Logitech K400 - I have 3 of them. Awesome for HTPC. No backlight but the trackpad works great and battery life is fantastic. My go to for HTPC.
    If you want to add a backlight, the Logitech K830 does but it's expensive, not small and a bit heavier. I use this in my movie room & it's the best I have found.

The Lenovo deal isn't too bad with the trackball. I keep it on one of my MAME machines. Similar deal to the mini...really small.

I can't recommend the IO Gear. Great keyboard that use to be my go to, but both I owned failed. Trackball stops working. Known issue (at least it used to be) & I didn't really use it that much. Maybe they have improved it. I really liked the K400 better.

Good luck,
    Chris
    Last edited by cdsinfla; 03-03-2015 at 07:28 AM.

I use a trusty Logitech K400 never failed me yet!
    Infinity Composition Prelude P-FR L/R, Infinity Overture 1 center, Front hgts, and side surrounds, Infinity FPS-1000 Rear surround and rear hgt, Acoustic Elegance P1152 subs (x2) SVS 16-46 (x2), (x2) B&K Reference 200.7 power amp, Denon AVR X4300H, Yamaha MX-830, Behringer NU4-6000, 8 core HTPC W/Blu-ray W/Jriver nVidia 1060gtx 6gb,Hybrid tube DAC W/Burson Vivid, Silicondust HDHR3 Prime, TCL 4K 55 inch LCD, Vivitek HK2288 4K Projector