Onkyo AVRs Get Atmos, DTS:X, HDMI 2.0a

Name:  Screen shot 2015-05-14 at 10.57.04 PM.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  8.9 KB

Onkyo is set to release two new AVRs next month with all the new "bells and whistles".

The company's $699 TX-NR646 and $999 TX-NR747 will be available in late June. They are Onkyo's first AVRs to be ready for the newest object-based surround sound codecs. Both will have Atmos right out of the box, with a firmware update, later this year, for the newest DTS:X.

Additionally, both AVRs will have the newest version of HDMI, version 2.0a. This version supports the passthrough of HDR (high dynamic range) video, to capable displays. Back to the audio side, they are also the first AVRs from Onkyo to include Apple AirPlay and 384kHz/32-bit DACs.

Both models will have eight HDMI inputs, two HDMI outputs, and support the following streaming services: TuneIn Radio, Pandora, Slacker, SiriusXM Internet Radio, Spotify and Deezer. Of course they will include built in WiFi, support DNLA playback, and stream DSD files via Ethernet.

The TX-NR646 will sport 7x100 watts into eight ohms, and 7x175 for the TX-NR747, which also has THX Select2 Plus certification. Onkyo also mentions the 747 will have "whole house mode" which is said to send synchronized audio throughout your home. I'm not 100% sure how this will work as I didn't see any additional information about this feature.

You can find more information on the TX-NR747, by visiting Receivers | A/V Receiver | Stereo Receiver | AVR | TX-NR747 | Onkyo USA

You can find more information on the TX-NR747, by visiting Receivers | A/V Receiver | Stereo Receiver | AVR | TX-NR646 | Onkyo USA

I had the 646 and returned it. I loved the sound however I did not really like Accueq? I didn't trust it as it set my mains over and over to 200hz when they are capable of Full, 40hz for example. The sub trim was also set too hot at +8 and the distance WAY off. Audyssey was always spot on and I ended up with the Denon X1200W model.

Some of the settings you describe are pretty common.

Most of the EQ programs set the mains to small and cross them over at a much higher point than they are capable of. I can only assume this is to protect the speakers from the damage an active LFE soundtrack can inflict on a speaker. They assume you want most of your LFE to be directed to the subwoofer.

Most people tweak the settings just a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Some of the settings you describe are pretty common.

Most of the EQ programs set the mains to small and cross them over at a much higher point than they are capable of. I can only assume this is to protect the speakers from the damage an active LFE soundtrack can inflict on a speaker. They assume you want most of your LFE to be directed to the subwoofer.

Most people tweak the settings just a bit.
    I know but 200hz is too high. I'm sure it set it that way since the sub was at +8.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I had to make a distance adjustment once on an Onkyo AVR.

My Marantz pre/pro is right on with distances.