Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgrade my subwoofers

Hi,

I have two Definitive Technology super cube 2000 subwoofers. For the most part they work good but in some occasions, in heavy bass scenes, they "crack". Inception, the snow falling from the mountain sequence, or in several scenes from the movie Pacific Rim for example (at 65 level of volume)

Don't know if I'm being crazy (probably my wife thinks that) but that is driving me nuts because I enjoy when the subs are kicking hard. So I have started to look for a good replacement. A pair or just one if I don't need two.

The question is which one is the recommendation where i won't have these kind of issues.

Let's say the max budget is 1k each.

Regards.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

I am doing a pair of SVS' in my new theater.

I like what Revel is doing too. Sumiko has a new line of subs coming out that Brent's going to review and measure. Outlaw Audio and Atlantic Tech have good ones too. Lastly, HSU is good.

The SVS-Ultras are very nice, but equally nice (although with a bigger footprint) is the HSU VTF-MK 2 (VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer). At $899 each, these are a freaking steal of a deal and two of them will give you more bass than you'll ever need. In fact, one will probably outperform your Supercubes.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanks guys.

David I was looking at the subwoofer you recommended and I think I will get one to give it a try. The reviews are really high.

one thing I noticed looking at the connections at the back is that has many more than the ones I'm using now. At the moment I only have once cable from the receiver to the subwoofer, the LFE.

i hope comes with a good manual how to set it up.

Do you may know a good webpage or link to learn about it ?

There is a HSU link in David's reply. I still run a HSU cylinder.
    JR

It's really hard to go wrong with either HSU or SVS. Both companies have a long proven track record of top notch performance and customer service.

You must post photos when you get them in. I have a bad case of sub envy.

Tracy, if you ever get a pair of GE2's (or 1's), it's debatable whether you will even need a sub at all. Of course, like horsepower, more is better.
    JR

i just picked up an Outlaw LFM-2 (discontinued) from Craigslist and I love it! It is replacing a 15" Velodyne that I have had for ages. I replaced the Velodyne becuase it was huge, footprint wise, and after hearing the Outlaw with my system, the velodyne was way too big for my listening area. It would overwhelm the soundstage and that was at 15-20% volume.

I hear everything better now. the outlaw is only an 8" so i am searching for an LFM-1 or EX, because i am missing a small bit of punch, but the lows and all around sound is much better. and the price on the outlaws is amazing for a new quality subwoofer.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra.html

http://hometheaterreview.com/outlaw-...ofer-reviewed/
    Last edited by NoUDont; 05-27-2015 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    Tracy, if you ever get a pair of GE2's (or 1's), it's debatable whether you will even need a sub at all. Of course, like horsepower, more is better.
    JR
    No, I haven't yet. My upgrade want list is long, and it currently ranks lower than my home upgrade list.

I am wanting a pair, really badly.