Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bought two SVS PB-2000

Hi guys,

After some research I decided to buy two SVS PB-2000. Initially I was looking for two HSU VTF-15H MK2 but they were too big for my room.
    I bought them to replace two sealed Definitive Technology Super Cube 2000. They were ok, but the at some very low and heavy bass they would rattle.

I just installed them yesterday and I was very surprised by the size of these speakers. They are HUGE !! ... I didn't have much positioning options here. I have one at front left side and the other one behind the viewer on the right.

I've run the Audyssey calibration (AV Receiver Denon AVR-X3100W) then made some small adjustments.

To my surprise, after testing some movies: Pacific Rim, Inception (snow scene) I realize the bass is "deeper and cleaner" but do not move (shake) the room as the other two small and sealed subwoofers. Looking at the size of these things I would have expect them to push me out the room.

Is the "power" (shaking force) of the subwoofer not considered at all to determine the quality ? If, it is, then I would have expect these two to be much better than the other ones in that sense.
    Is there anything on the calibration that might be wrong ? ...

I have the volume of each subwoofer at 60% ... is just about turn them up to 70 or 80 ??? ... (the other two small super cubes were only at 55%).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Congrats on the two SVS PB-2000 speakers. Post some pics. Would like to see how big they are in relation to everything else.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Quote Originally Posted by jmartingarcia View Post
    Hi guys,

After some research I decided to buy two SVS PB-2000. Initially I was looking for two HSU VTF-15H MK2 but they were too big for my room.
    I bought them to replace two sealed Definitive Technology Super Cube 2000. They were ok, but the at some very low and heavy bass they would rattle.

I just installed them yesterday and I was very surprised by the size of these speakers. They are HUGE !! ... I didn't have much positioning options here. I have one at front left side and the other one behind the viewer on the right.

I've run the Audyssey calibration (AV Receiver Denon AVR-X3100W) then made some small adjustments.

To my surprise, after testing some movies: Pacific Rim, Inception (snow scene) I realize the bass is "deeper and cleaner" but do not move (shake) the room as the other two small and sealed subwoofers. Looking at the size of these things I would have expect them to push me out the room.

Is the "power" (shaking force) of the subwoofer not considered at all to determine the quality ? If, it is, then I would have expect these two to be much better than the other ones in that sense.
    Is there anything on the calibration that might be wrong ? ...

I have the volume of each subwoofer at 60% ... is just about turn them up to 70 or 80 ??? ... (the other two small super cubes were only at 55%).

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Audyssey generally sets the bass too low. Do you have a SPL meter? If not, that's how you need to calibrate them. Also, they could be in the wrong spots in the room and could potentially be "fighting" each other (cancelling out certain frequencies). Regardless, dual PB-2000's should blow away the Supercubes.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

David, I have increased the volume to about 80% and now I'm blown away. Is incredible. Checking the volume on the receiver is sett to -8.5db.
    Should in change That and return the subwoofer manual volume to 60? Or less or does not matter.

Now something weird happened as I was writing this post. I lost all audio. Had to stop the movie and restart.

Weird !!!

I'd up the volume in the AVR and lower it on the subs. You really need to get a SPL meter to set them up properly.
    David Vaughn

Thanks David I will get one. I will post the pictures later today

Picture as promised...

Here are some pictures ...

I put the front subwoofer behind the screen but at the bottom, don't think is the best place but works ok and not sure I have other options on my space.

There are couple of pictures comparing the size with a SuperCube 2000 for reference. Is like the PB 2000 has a zit.

Name:  IMG_3375.jpg
Views: 3267
Size:  93.1 KBName:  IMG_3376.jpg
Views: 3449
Size:  90.1 KBName:  IMG_3378.jpg
Views: 2691
Size:  84.0 KBName:  IMG_3379.jpg
Views: 2740
Size:  98.2 KBName:  IMG_3381.jpg
Views: 3511
Size:  96.2 KBName:  IMG_3382.jpg
Views: 2739
Size:  91.5 KB

Setting up dual subs isn't easy. You need to find the best place for the first one by placing it in the "sweet spot" and then doing a room crawl with some bass-intensive music. Once you find that spot, that's where sub one goes.

Next, you then hook up sub#2, volume match them (with a SPL) with the second sub sitting in the sweet spot, and you crawl the room again looking for the best spot (tight bass, not boomy bass). That's where Sub #2 is placed. Now you listen to the same bass track and see how it sounds. It took me nearly 3 hours to find the "right" spot for my second sub and then I also had to place some bass treatments in the proper places to flatten the curve out.
    David Vaughn

I also have a Denon receiver and use the Audyssey but here's what happens. If you have the volume at the subs too high when you run Audyssey it reduces the volume level from the receiver. The result is you now have a very low line level output. That is not what you want especially if you want to run a bass shaker amp for butt kickers or other shakers. You won't be able to turn the volume up enough on the shaker amp to get the action you want.

Bottom line: Next time you run Audyssey make sure the volume on the subs is turned way down so it sets up the output level from the receiver to a stronger level.

I have an SVS and an HSU sub.
    Last edited by BassEarDrum; 06-12-2015 at 06:09 PM.
    My 7.1 system:

JVC 4910 FP
    Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 LCD FP
    Carada Precision 96" BW 16.9 Screen
    Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD Player
    Panasonic DMP-BD35K Blu-ray Disc Player
    Sony PS3 (Blue Ray)
    Rotel RB-1080 Amplifier
    Denon 4308CI
    Belkin PureAV PF60 Powercenter
    Axiom Audio M80 v2's (Mains)
    Axiom Audio VP150 v2 (Center)
    Axiom Audio QS8 v2's (Surrounds)
    Axiom Audio QS8 v2's (Rear Surrounds)
    HSU VTF-3 MK3 With Turbocharger (Subwoofer)
    SVS PB2+/2 Gloss Black (Subwoofer)

Nice, I love new subs and new sub photos. The Super Cubes were good for their time, but don't compare to what is being offered by SVS, HSU, and others today.