Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SVS Prime Satellite 5.1 Speaker System Reviewed

It's a rare thing for me to get excited about the announcement about another satellite speaker system. However, when it sports the SVS logo it gets my attention.

Name:  Screen shot 2015-06-29 at 12.23.09 PM.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  10.6 KB

I have been a long-time fan of SVS. Even since I bought my 20-39 CS+ in the early 2000's, I have been hooked. These days SVS isn't just a subwoofer company anymore.

Here, HomeTheaterReview.com's Myron Ho reviews the company's new Prime satellite speaker, as part of a full 5.1 speaker package. The system consists of 5 identical Prime Satellite speakers and a SB-1000 sub.

The Prime satellites measure 8.75" (H) X 4.9" (W) X 5.53" (D). They are equipped with a 1" aluminum dome tweeter and a 4.5" polypropylene woofer. This matched with the 13"x13" SB-1000, loaded with a 12" forward facing driver, give the system a frequency response of 69 Hz–25 kHz (+/–3 dB) and a sensitivity of 85db.

Buy yourself a quality AVR and some cables for the speakers, and you are in business.

Here's a bit of Myron's review:

Starting with music, I fired up the classic album by Queen, A Night at the Opera (DVD-Audio, Hollywood Records), featuring a DTS 96/24 surround encoding. With all speakers firing, the sound on the SVS system was surprisingly large. Closing my eyes, I could not hear the telltale signs of sound coming from small speakers. In fact, the soundfield was amazingly even throughout the room. I actually got up walked around and sat in different seating positions to test this. On "Bohemian Rhapsody", the a capella vocals sounded holographic. Freddie Mercury's lead-ins and solos in between the band harmony segments were stunning. This piece has a lot of punctuation involving hard starts and stops with silence in between, and the SVS Prime Satellites got them down perfectly, without a hint of the bleeding together that you often hear with smaller, cheaply designed drivers that just can't cut it. Brian May's grungy power chords and wailing guitar riffs with his circa 1975-era distortion was clear and had just the right tonal balance.
    I'll leave the rest of the review for you to read yourself, but the SVS Prime satellite 5.1 Speaker System received an all Five-Star rating. This is a rarity.

Check out the review on HomeTheaterReview.com in it's entirety.
    SVS Prime Satellite 5.1 Speaker System Reviewed

Now that I'm looking for speakers as well, this system has me intrigued. I remember hearing about SVS from you guys years ago back when this was the "other" site and was always interested in them. I think my only concern would be the center channel only having the same speaker setup in it as the other satellites. Probably not an issue in my smaller room, but something to keep in mind for "future proofing" if/when I have a larger space available.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT series satellites/center
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950
    Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR

They also make a dedicated center channel speaker, the Prime Center.

Name:  svs-prime-center.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  9.8 KB

SVS Prime Center Speaker | Best Home Theater Sound

Yep I saw that. Not sure if it would match well with the much smaller satellites for main L/R's. They have a nice looking 5.0 system with the center, two larger bookshelf size for main L/R, then two satellites for surrounds. Just needs a sub added on.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950

All SVS speakers are "voice matched", so you could mix and match when building a system.

The Prime Bookshelf speakers have received really good reviews, and not just from HTR. Unless you have a big room, I wouldn't have an issue running the system listed above. However, you could always substitute the center speaker for one of the bookshelf speakers.

Email the guys at SVS. Tell them about your room and listening preferences.

Yep I emailed them already. Although more to find out if the 7x50W Marantz would be able to properly drive anything bigger than the Satellite models. It drives my current Velodyne stuff just fine, but the center on that only adds a second 4.5" driver where the SVS center adds two 5.5" drivers.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950

Their speakers are reasonably efficient, 87db on the bookshelf speakers and 86db on the center.

Yeah, I'm just not sure how to translate that to "real world". I know my current stuff is supposedly 89dB. I don't know how 85 on the SVS Satellite or 86 & 87 on the other two models would compare. I know it's "only" 2-4dB but I don't know if that's actually a huge difference.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950

Well, let's look at the specs. They list a rating of 87db with 2.83 volts at 1 meter. This means 87 decibels of sound will be produced when measured at 1 meter, when you feed the speaker 2.83 volts, which equates to 1 watt of power at 8 ohms.

So if you do the math, luckily I found a chart, you can expect sound levels like this.

Name:  watts chart.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  5.7 KBName:  sound levels in db.PNG
Views: 463
Size:  12.7 KB

Your AVR is rated at 50 watts, which is it's continuous power rating. Peak will be higher. Based on this, you can expect around 104db of sound without hitting peak power. Maybe not exactly reference level with a 50 watt AVR, at least with any headroom left. I suppose it depends on your listening habits. Reference level is pretty freakin' loud at my house. I rarely reach reference at a continuous level, peaks yes.

I would be interested in hearing what the SVS guys say. They won't steer you wrong.

Thanks. Yeah I'm not sure how to describe what level I usually listen at. When I would do manual calibrations I'd calibrate with Avia at 75dB vs. the "85dB reference" and then probably listen about 5-10dB below that (as a guess). One thing I'm concerned about on the power rating for the receiver is over at AVS they're saying that it can't actually do 7x50W it's more like 2x50W and with all 7 channels (granted I'm only 5 right now) it cuts the power to more like 7x25 or 7x30 continuous. They did mention adding a 2 channel amp for the front L/R (all I have pre-outs for besides LFE) would help out though and free up more power for the center and surrounds. Anyway, thanks for the info, didn't mean to clutter up your review thread with all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Well, let's look at the specs. They list a rating of 87db with 2.83 volts at 1 meter. This means 87 decibels of sound will be produced when measured at 1 meter, when you feed the speaker 2.83 volts, which equates to 1 watt of power at 8 ohms.

So if you do the math, luckily I found a chart, you can expect sound levels like this.

Name:  watts chart.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  5.7 KBName:  sound levels in db.PNG
Views: 463
Size:  12.7 KB

Your AVR is rated at 50 watts, which is it's continuous power rating. Peak will be higher. Based on this, you can expect around 104db of sound without hitting peak power. Maybe not exactly reference level with a 50 watt AVR, at least with any headroom left. I suppose it depends on your listening habits. Reference level is pretty freakin' loud at my house. I rarely reach reference at a continuous level, peaks yes.

I would be interested in hearing what the SVS guys say. They won't steer you wrong.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950