Name:  Screen shot 2015-07-22 at 1.35.39 PM.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  6.5 KB

It seems that everything Sandy Gross touches is audio gold. After leaving Definitive Technology, Gross started a new company called GoldenEar Technology. The new company has been well received by both consumers and reviewers, especially their Triton line of floor-standing loudspeakers.

The Triton line is split into two groups. The Triton One, Two, and Three speakers have an integrated amplifier for the subwoofers, where the Five and Seven series are completely passive.

HomeTheaterRewiew's Brent Butterworth reviews the larger of the passive line, the Triton Five. At $999 each ($1998 a pair), the Triton Five towers have a pretty impressive complement of drivers and specs. Take a look at the info from the Goldenear Triton spec page.

Name:  Screen shot 2015-07-22 at 1.22.55 PM.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  10.8 KB

Here's a bit from Brent's review:
The very first tune I listened to intently through the Triton Fives was "Who Cares?" from Cannonball Adderly's Know What I Mean? CD, recorded with pianist Bill Evans. Through the Triton Fives, "Who Cares?" had an intimate sound, as if it were performed in a relatively small, not-very-reverberant space--i.e., like most of the places where jazz was recorded and performed back then. The Triton Five let me hear how drummer Connie Kay's snare interacted with the room differently than Adderly's alto sax and Evans' piano did; the rim shots echoed off the walls, while the sax and piano did not (at least not audibly). Adderly sounded clear and colorless, and by that I mean I couldn't detect any sonic coloration marring his awesome tone. Kay's cymbals sounded extremely clear, yet without a trace of treble emphasis; in fact, they sounded a little soft, although that's the way the cymbals sound in most jazz recordings of this era. (Was it the tape? The mics? The way they played? I don't know.)

Percy Heath's bass was perhaps the most impressive of all because it had the perfect mix of fullness and tightness. I've played in jazz groups with upright bass players, so I have a pretty good idea of what the instrument is supposed to sound like, and this is it. I have to admit, this surprised me, as I didn't expect that the somewhat oddball combo of dual midwoofers and four passive radiators would sound so good.
I won't spoil the whole review, but needless to say Brent was pretty impressed with the Triton Five. Read his review in its entirety by clicking here. GoldenEar Triton Five Tower Loudspeaker Reviewed