Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RF Remote Options?

I have the Logitec Harmony One remote which I personally love. I bought it for the main theater a few years ago but my wife has stolen it for use upstairs.

Her issue with it is she has to keep line of sight with the IR transmitter, since all the equipment is downstairs, and I am using an IR repeater. I'm tired of hearing he complain so I need a RF option.

I haven't really kept up with remotes, so I'm unsure what's currently available. I do know that Logitec has a new remote that uses RF and WiFi but it relies mainly on using your phone or tablet as the main remote. That's cool but then you have to worry about having your phone and making sure it doesn't "go to sleep". Also, the included remote only has three functions and no customizable touchpad. I don't think she will go for that.

So......what's out there?

Tracy, I don't know if this is helpful, but I use the Universal Remote 850, with the RF adapter. I have used it, happily for ten years or so. You have to program it on the computer. I have both the software and the instruction booklet, which i would send to you. Many new remotes have been released, they are prettier, but this has worked so well for me over the last few years. In fact, I have separate ones for two separate rooms and have worn out two units. But, with the program stored on my computer I just put in the program into the new unit and I am done.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Hi Tracy,

I 2nd Barry's comments. I have used a MX-980 which is the 850's big brother for almost 10 years. I have been using URC remotes for over 15 years starting with the model 500 which I still have.
    RF remotes have spoiled me, I couldn't go back to IR.
    David also uses a MX-980 remote.
    Richard

I have been turned off URC remotes since dealing with the one that came with my Sunfire Theater Grand III. That thing was really counter intuitive to program macros.

However, the newer ones, even the 450, look totally different. It might be time to revisit the brand. Thanks for the recommendation, guys.

I use the 980 as Richard said, and I love it a lot. In fact, I just got an 880 for a spare room and it programmed (macros and all) in under 30 minutes using the Complete Control software. It's not as fancy as the 980, but that's somewhat of a good thing since it programmed so easily. The other benefit of the URC remotes is they're built extremely well and I've had my 980 for almost 9 years and it still looks and acts new. You can also find them on eBay for decent prices, but the software doesn't come with them (but if you know someone...hint hint, getting the software won't be a problem for you).
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Do you three work or get kick-backs from URC?

Tracy, what is really nice about this site is that everyone is voluntaring to share what they have. Believe me it is not common on other sites. Of course Richard, David and I have agreed on the,fees.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

No kick backs at all, their products just work and frankly are better built than the Logitech products. My neighbors Harmony One is only five years old and is dying and my Mom's battery swelled up in hers and it took two of us to get the damn thing out to replace it! If you find a model you like, let us know and we'll let you know if we have experience with it. Also, Jeff may possibly be a dealer and can give you a good price on one.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

NO FEES! NO FEES!!!!!! THAT IS NOT WHAT WE CONSPIRED!!!!!!!
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

If I go with a URC, I will need some way to convert the RF signal to IR.

For instance, I see the MRF-260 and MRF-360. If I understand it correctly the 360 has 6 IR outputs and the 260 has one, correct?