Chromecast Audio Streaming Dongle

Name:  NewChromecast.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  62.6 KB

Google has made several new announcements this week regarding their updated Chromecast. In addition to an updated Chromecast streaming stick, they are also releasing another product for audio-only streaming.

The Chromecast Audio Dongle, is the company's new venture into the audio streaming world. The $35 device looks just like the newly designed Chromecast, but connects to any device's audio input via a 3.5mm jack, RCA, or optical input. Users can then Cast music from any Cast-enabled app such as Pandora, YouTube, Spotify and others. Being it is a Chromecast product, it utilizes a WiFi connection instead of the typical Bluetooth interface most other audio dongles use.

From my experience, there are some distinct advantages to using WiFi verses Bluetooth. First is Bluetooth has a limited range. If you are streaming from your mobile phone and walk away from the device you are streaming to, you loose connection. Sometimes, someone walking through the room has interrupted my connection. Secondly, since this is not streaming from your mobile device, you are not taxing its resources. The audio dongle forms a WiFi connection between it and the Internet. This way your device is acting as a remote, and is not actually sending the music to the Chromecast.

Just like the video streaming model, the audio only dongle uses the company's new three antenna system. This new configuration allows for accessing dual band routers, and uses new 802.11 ac adaptive technology to establish and maintain the best connection to your router. It also gets the new hockey puck look and comes in three new colors.

The new Google Chromecast Audio Dongle is available now at Best Buy, Walmart and the Google Store.

Tracy, the link to your "Google refreshes Chromecast" thread is inoperative.

Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

I can get to the thread "Google refreshes Chromecast" and see the video fine.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bartlett View Post
    Tracy, the link to your "Google refreshes Chromecast" thread is inoperative.
    Hey Dave. It's not my link, but one inserted by the forum's software.

I'll see if I can delete it. Thanks for letting me know.

TrippleJ,
    Thank you, I appreciate your posting the clip. That was my first encounter with a dead link on this forum. The link failure could have been due to my somewhat old laptop. I had no trouble with other links but I do have other sporadic problems. For example, text bleed over is a recurring problem (posted information carries all the way over into the "Popular Forum Threads" making the links difficult to read), but not a problem today. Unsure if that is my issue or a forum problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bartlett View Post
    TrippleJ,
    Thank you, I appreciate your posting the clip. That was my first encounter with a dead link on this forum. The link failure could have been due to my somewhat old laptop. I had no trouble with other links but I do have other sporadic problems. For example, text bleed over is a recurring problem (posted information carries all the way over into the "Popular Forum Threads" making the links difficult to read), but not a problem today. Unsure if that is my issue or a forum problem.
    If you hover your cursor over those links, you may see that they are all Amazon links inserted by VigLink. I have no control over them.

As for the forum text overlapping, what screen resolution are you using? The only time I have ever experienced this was when we had the option to select style sheets. Unless you are using the mobile style sheet on you computer, it shouldn't be an issue. I did have one user that was using the zoom feature to make text larger. This too will cause some overlap.