How to Choose a Subwoofer

No matter if you are a 2-channel purist or a multi-channel home theater fiend, we all can agree that adding a subwoofer can have a big effect on your system's bass performance. The issue and confusion comes from the amazing array or subs that are currently on the market. How can you possibly decide on which one to buy?

Thankfully Home Theater Review's Brent Butterworth has a very informative article on just this subject.

Brent covers a variety of topics including:
    • Common Features
    • Sealed vs. Ported vs. Passive Radiator
    • Specs
    • One Sub vs. Two vs. Four

Take a moment to give the article a read. You might just learn something; I did.

How to Choose a Subwoofer for Surround Sound or Stereo

I'll have to check it out. I saw that Golden Ear has a new sub out that is supposed to be a honey.
    JR
    http://www.goldenear.com/
    Last edited by jerrich; 10-13-2015 at 01:40 PM.

I haven't heard about the new GE sub. I'll have to check it out.

Excellent article.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

it is an excellent article. I'd just like to reinforce one thing. I went from one big Thiel sub-woofers to two mid sized ones. For home theater going to the two (esee below) was one of the best things I ever did. It sound great!!! (Thanks to Jerry for the suggestions and help). And I really can;t overstate how much better it is,
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc