Bowers & Wilkins Updates the Zeppelin

Name:  zeppelin.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  8.4 KB

Bowers & Wilkins has just announced an update to their Zeppelin, wireless speaker.

The blimp-shaped speaker has been part of the company's line up for quite some time, but the new version sees some interesting changes. The new Zeppelin has a slightly more elongated shape, still has Wi-Fi and Apple AirPlay, but it has opted to use Bluetooth instead of Apple’s newest Lightning dock. While iPhone users might be dismayed, I wondered why they have opted to have an integrated "iDock" for as long as they have.

Adding Bluetooth allows for connection to a lot more devices, but still supports iOS phones and tablets. It would seem like a win for everyone. Dropping the dock also allows the company to make the Zeppelin slightly smaller.

While some audio geeks may dislike the thought of using Bluetooth, the Zeppelin uses the "SBC codec, Bowers & Wilkins incorporated AptX and AAC" streaming over Bluetooth. It also uses an integrated DAC to up-sample all audio, regardless of input source, to 192kHz/24 bit.

The speaker complement consists of two one-inch double dome tweeters, two 3.5 inch midrange drivers, and one 6.5 inch woofer. A five-channel amp provides 25 watts to each tweeter and midrange, and 50 watts to the woofer.

The new Zeppelin will retail for $699, on the company's website starting October 15. For more information visit the Zeppelin product page.

Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Wireless

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

I think I am getting one of these.