GoldenEar HTR 7000s are on the Way

Name:  HTR 7000.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  10.3 KB

I've been itching to make some changes to my home theater for quite some time. While a projector remains a top priority, I also need to free up some floor space and thought about adding some in-ceiling speakers.

Right now, I am using a pair of DCM Time Window Seven towers, super hard to find, as my main left and right channel and a CX-17 center that has been modified to match the timber of the Sevens. I am running a pair of DCM Time Window Three, also towers, as my surrounds.

Here's a simple drawing of my theater. Needless to say it's a tight fit, especially in the rear of the theater.

Name:  Rainwater Theater.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  74.8 KB

My first step is to box up the Threes in the rear and add in-ceiling speakers. I have no first-hand experience when it comes to in-ceiling speakers. Top brands that come to mind are Episode which are from Snap AV, GoldenEar Technology, and Noble Fidelity.

Ultimately, I decided on the GoldenEar HTR 7000s. I remember hearing the Triton 2 towers at CEDIA and fell in love with how well they imaged and how open they were. It wasn't like listening to speakers playing music, as much as it was an incredibly deep, wide, engaging sound field. This was easily one of the top demos for me at the trade show.

So...........after emailing GoldenEar Technology with some basic questions, I get a phone call from the company president Sandy Gross. WOW, what a surprise. After a lengthy phone call, I decided to order a pair of HTR 7000 in-ceiling speakers.

Here are the specs:
    • One - 7˝ High-Def. Cast-Basket MVPP™ Mid/Bass Driver
    • One - HVFR™ High-Velocity Folded Ribbon Tweeter
    • 25 Hz - 35 kHz
    • 90 db Effeciancy
    • Power Rating 10 - 250 watts
    • 9 inch diameter package

I'm pretty excited and hopefully will have them by the end of the week. One thing I will have to do is install them into my 2'X2' grid ceiling. I will most likely have to reinforce the panels a bit. Even though they only weigh about 9 pounds, it will make me feel better with a little reinforcement.

I'll post more when they are delivered. Check out the entire line of GoldenEar Technology's in-ceiling and in-wall speakers here: http://www.goldenear.com/products/invisa-series?gktab=1

Check out their Triton line, while you're at it. These may be my new front speakers. http://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-series

Congrats on your new speakers and the phone call! My GE2's are scary good, esp the bass. Combined with the Hsu cylinder in the rear (overkill?) my bass response is awesome imo. Makes me wonder how much better the GE1's could sound. Treble response is at least as good as my old Apogees and they will float an image you will not believe, esp if you close your eyes.

JR

Nice job Tracy. Let us know how the install goes.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Nice job Tracy. Let us know how the install goes.
    Will do. Luckily I will be cutting a ceiling tile and not sheet rock. I am going to venture out and see if I can find some Masonite, or other thin rigid material to place on top of the panels the speakers will be mounted into. If all goes well, I will be buying a third HTR 7000 for use as a center.

I have been leery of in-ceiling products since my ceiling is so low. However after talking to Sandy, I'm going for it. He says the speakers I choose have enough tilt to make it work. This may open up the possibility of adding Atmos in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    Congrats on your new speakers and the phone call! My GE2's are scary good, esp the bass. Combined with the Hsu cylinder in the rear (overkill?) my bass response is awesome imo. Makes me wonder how much better the GE1's could sound. Treble response is at least as good as my old Apogees and they will float an image you will not believe, esp if you close your eyes.

JR
    Jerrich, I know what you mean about the Triton Twos. I absolutely fell in love with them when I heard the demo at CEDIA. I have almost made my peace with the idea of replacing my Time Window Sevens.

When that happens, the Twos will be mine. Unless I am unfairly tempted by the Triton Ones.

You might luck out and find some used ones. I had a used trade-in pair of 2's spotted at Listen Up in Denver and they got sold out from under me. Could have had them at half price too! Dang it. Now I'm dreaming about selling the Hsu and trying the new GE super sub.
    JR

Speakers came in this afternoon. Both were well packed in a non-descript box, which I like.

Looking inside I found the template to make the cutouts for mounting. I'll cut some Masonite tomorrow and get them installed.

Name:  boxed HTR 7000.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  61.3 KB

Wait till you see the boxes the 2's come in!! I've noticed lately that Sandy Gross must have started a fad of bringing back the Heil Air Motion tweeter from years ago. Now I see them all over the place on many of the leading speaker brands. Sauce for the goose?
    JR
    Be sure to let us in on your first impressions. You might want them for your fronts instead of the ceiling!

I'm sure the box the Triton 2s are shipped in are huge.

As for the tweeter, Sandy calls it an accordion folded tweeter. Here's the info from the Triton page.

The hallmark of all GoldenEar speakers, the Triton Towers all utilize our High-Velocity Folded Ribbon (HVFR™) tweeter design. The HVFR tweeter propagates sound waves and moves the air by squeezing it with its accordion-like pleated diaphragm, rather than pushing it as conventional drivers do. Greater efficiency, lower distortion, improved dynamics and superbly detailed sound are the result of this amazing technology. And every Triton Tower utilizes our amazing spider-leg, cast-basket mid/bass drivers with proprietary computer optimized cone design that assures smooth, extended response.