Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Pro Logic IIz could actually be pretty good in some instances. Older DVDs and some television material sounds pretty good with different versions of Pro Logic, although mine has IIx, not IIz.

As for adding additional speakers for Atmos and DTS X, you could always go in-ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Pro Logic IIz could actually be pretty good in some instances. Older DVDs and some television material sounds pretty good with different versions of Pro Logic, although mine has IIx, not IIz.

As for adding additional speakers for Atmos and DTS X, you could always go in-ceiling.
    Yeah I just did some checking, looks like the 1606 supports IIx as well instead of IIz. I probably will look into some sort of Atmos speakers at some point since they'll be pretty easy to set up. I have no real room or need in my small space for a traditional 7.2 setup with two back surrounds as you can see my couch is right up against the wall there, but I should be able to slip some Atmos type speakers in somewhere up front.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Chromecast

Banned!!!

cpaluda:
    FYI, In Wall & In ceiling speakers takes up NO room in your room. There are also many in wall & In ceiling Subwoofers also Center channel speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by cpaluda View Post
    Yeah I just did some checking, looks like the 1606 supports IIx as well instead of IIz. I probably will look into some sort of Atmos speakers at some point since they'll be pretty easy to set up. I have no real room or need in my small space for a traditional 7.2 setup with two back surrounds as you can see my couch is right up against the wall there, but I should be able to slip some Atmos type speakers in somewhere up front.

Banned!!!

I have height channels with my Integra 40.3 Processor. It's called Pl II- z Height mode. I have had this from before there was Atmos. Sounds great with my 10.2 System and a pair of In ceiling speakers for that purpose. I guess you can put all of those old cables wherever you put your old Yamaha Receiver. What are we going to do with all our old Cables, such as Component, DVI-D, analog cables, etc. I guess there is always Craig's List, or eBay. Something is better then nothing.

Well, I finished my setup last night (re-ran the Audyssey setup) and I'm definitely impressed. I wasn't sure at first because I was mostly listening to stuff on cable (HD channels usually with some sort of 5.1 or surround encoding) and voice sounded a bit clearer but still a bit off. Just dropped Transformers Age of Extinction in. Wow, I didn't realize just how poor quality sound cable really has.

I'm still not sure if I might need to replace my speakers though. I've read about ferrofluid cooled tweeters having the fluid dry up and reducing performance after a number of years. Mine are around 14 years old like the Yamaha receiver. I supposed I could just find 6 replacements that fit the enclosure and electrical specs and replace them all or something. I've read up on replacing the fluid in them but I don't know if I want to mess with that. Also that was on metal dome tweeters I have silk domes so I don't know how different that is.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Chromecast

After 14 years, your speakers are most likely due some attention, or outright replacement.

I just installed two GoldenEar HTR7000 in-ceiling speakers for my rears. They sound pretty amazing and as Jeffrey says, take up no room. You just have to get brave enough to cut the holes. However, the magnetic grill that covers the speakers look really nice.

I need to post some photos of the finished DIY installation.

That's what I was afraid of. To be honest it's mostly the center channel I notice issues with which makes sense since it gets the most work. I'll probably start looking into replacements and once I find something get it piece by piece. Center first then mains then surrounds. Will depend on price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Well, I had a setback with the Audyssey setup. I had to set the main L/R channels from Audyssey's 150Hz crossover back down to around 110 (speakers are supposedly rate to 90Hz on the satellites/center). I don't think my 14 year old sub, Velodyne CHT-8, can handle those higher bass frequencies. Either because it just can't handle that kind of modern sound load, or because of it's age (wear and tear).

I noticed its built in crossover (which I've bypassed with the switch as per Audyssey setup instrucitons) is maxed at a high of 120Hz. I was testing the opening sequence of Transformers Revenge of the Fallen again and about the point the alien ships start dropping stuff on the ground, the sub would cut off. I'm assuming because it was overloaded.

I'm not sure if I should leave the crossover like that and deal with potential holes in the audyssey EQ settings (apparently it's ok to raise but not lower crossover points), or just dump the Audyssey settings for now and do the old school manual setup with Avia or DVE and a meter. Thoughts? Yes new speakers are now on the list since I think my center channel is still having clarity issues as well, but I need to find the best setup for the time being.
    Last edited by cpaluda; 12-06-2015 at 10:06 PM.

Check and see what the sub's level is set at. Is it really high compared to the other speakers?

It's true LFE soundtracks weren't as extreme 14 years ago, but the sub might be set too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Check and see what the sub's level is set at. Is it really high compared to the other speakers?

It's true LFE soundtracks weren't as extreme 14 years ago, but the sub might be set too high.
    No the physical volume is about 25% and the Audyssey adjustment is at like -2.5db. I think I'm going to pull out a calibration disc and check that level.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk