Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Doesn't seem too high. If anything, I've never had a negative db setting on any speaker, but every system is different.

Does the LFE level seem too high?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Doesn't seem too high. If anything, I've never had a negative db setting on any speaker, but every system is different.

Does the LFE level seem too high?
    It seems more present than before. But I could be wrong. I did have Transformers turned up to about 10db below reference but I'm sure I've had it there before and not had this issue. I think it's the extra bass frequencies from the higher crossover point and it couldn't handle the load.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT series satellites/center
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch
    Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR

14 years ago, home theater subs had it easy. However, it was the beginning of better sounding movie soundtracks, especially those encoded in DTS.

Today, much more is expected of a subwoofer and manufacturers are building them to take a beating. I had to re replace my Klipsch sub, when I upgraded to a fully discrete 5.1 system. The old one couldn't take it an action movie at decent listening levels.

Yeah, I'm going to start demoing new speakers to find something to replace these with since they're old and apparently on their way out (the tweeter issues). I didn't really know anything 14 years ago and just walked into the store with a little knowledge that I wanted discrete power amps in the receiver and walked out with that Velodyne speaker system. I still need to figure out what brands to look for and what to avoid (if I end up buying at the "big box" stores).
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch

SVS offers a 45 day in home demo. Aperion also has an in home trial.

Well, did some more testing of my tweeters tonight. I was trying to figure out if they were working while listening to TV content. Don't know why I didn't think of it before, but playing some heavy metal with crashing cymbals was great. It became very clear they are all still working including the center channel. So I suspect my overall sound quality issues, while much improved with the new receiver and Audyseey to EQ the room, are probably more related to a combination of the audio quality on the cable sources (and possibly some blu-rays maybe poor mixing or something) and also probably worn tweeters. I.e. have heard ferrofluid can dry up after a number of years and reduce the output/performance of the tweeters for example (ranger was around 10ish years, I'm at 14 or so of course).
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch