Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Finally upgrading my receiver

Well, we happened to stop by a Best Buy last Friday. Not to pick up any Black Friday stuff but we decided to look at receivers while we were there just to see prices. A simple cell phone air vent holder turned into a Marantz NR1606. Hoping it's a really good upgrade, but at this point I'm sure anything will be. I'm still running my 13-14 year old Yamaha HTR-5450 which is being fed analog outs from a Sony BDP-S550 and driving a Velodyne CHT-8 and CHT Front Row System satellites (speakers are also the same age).

Now that I don't need the analog outs of the Sony any longer I'll finally be able to upgrade to a 3D capable blu-ray player. Although, I'm holding out for an Oppo on that. I know the Oppo's still have analog outputs but I think my current receiver is on its way out with some occasional center channel clipping and not being clear at times on dialogue.

I would have loved to get something a little more "high end" like a 5010 but the Marantz was at the top of the price range at this time.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Chromecast

I think you'll look back and ask yourself why you didn't update your AVR sooner.

I was a "I don't need no stinkin' HDMI" guy for my pre amp, but it sure is a lot more convenient. Add to this, your bass management and room EQ will be so much simpler.

Congrats, let see some photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I think you'll look back and ask yourself why you didn't update your AVR sooner.

I was a "I don't need no stinkin' HDMI" guy for my pre amp, but it sure is a lot more convenient. Add to this, your bass management and room EQ will be so much simpler.

Congrats, let see some photos.
    Not sure what you're saying about the bass management? I'd definitely appreciate any tips on getting this calibrated. My current setup is calibrated manually of course using ye olde standard radioshack SPL meter and the blu-ray DVE disc. I've been unsure whether to go that route again or try out the built in Audyssey stuff on the Marantz.

I'll try to get a few pics, it's just in a living room so speaker placement isn't perfect but as close as I can get to it without a dedicated room. Oh, yeah I forgot to mention the receiver is also not actually in my possession yet. The store didn't have any in stock so they ordered it and it arrives Friday. Was supposed to be Wednesday but I guess it got delayed.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Chromecast

The Marantz is going to have some version of Audyssey Auto EQ. It will do a much better job at flattening out your sub's response in your room, vs nothing. After running the auto EQ, you can always go back and check your levels and distances manually, with the meter.

I usually find mine are pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    The Marantz is going to have some version of Audyssey Auto EQ. It will do a much better job at flattening out your sub's response in your room, vs nothing. After running the auto EQ, you can always go back and check your levels and distances manually, with the meter.

I usually find mine are pretty close.
    Cool I'll try that out then. Do you have any experience with setting up ARC with the Panny plasmas like my VT60? I'm trying to figure out whether to try and get that working to get 5.1 audio for Netflix off the TV app or continue using the optical cable I'm using right now. I also have a Chromecast which from what I understand supports 5.1 in the Netflix app and I could just plug that directly into the Marantz and stop using the TV's app.

The ARC that I know, is HDMI. I have it on my Marantz AV7005, but I haven't had a reason to use it.

As for 5.1 from Netflix via Chromecast, I'm not sure. I have a Chromecast myself, but I haven't had a Netflix account in years. I would imagine that info is on the Netflix site. They used to have a fairly comprehensive list of compatible devices.

OK thanks. I think I'll try Netflix on chromecast to see if I like the interface setup and if so go that route otherwise I'll keep the tv app and optical cable route. Netflix's website says the chromecast supports up to 5.1.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

I think the arc path is only stereo 2 ch. Check it and see.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    I think the arc path is only stereo 2 ch. Check it and see.
    JR
    Did a little searching and it sounds like that's usually the case except they generally pass up to 5.1 from internal apps (which is what I wanted it for anyway). Still, I think I'll make the initial connection with the optical cable and decide later if I want to set up ARC. We'll see though I haven't decided for sure. I did put a post over on avsforum in the VT60 thread to see if there was any VT60 specific advice for setting it up.

I just checked that and they're saying don't bother with it and to go the chromecast route with it connected to the receiver. The benefit of course is updated Netflix apps since the TV hasn't seen an update since late 2013. My other option which I just remembered is to go back to using the XBox for Netflix now that a Live Gold membership isn't required any longer. I'd rather go with the chromecast though if I can get it to output 5.1. Chromecast is silent, XBox is noisy.

Not much, it's an unpacking picture, will have more later...........