Tossing around some speaker combinations, could use some input

Ok, so I've been looking at the various Internet Direct stuff and mostly of what I see that fits the price range seems to be SVS and HSU. I've got a couple combinations I'm thinking about if I was to go with those companies but I'm not quite sure which way to go.

For mains/surround/center I've been looking at either the SVS Prime Satellites plus a Center or the HSU HB-1 and HC-1. I think the bookshelf size of the HSU's and the Bookshelf Prime from SVS would be too big for my space though. Or at least, the HSU's would be too big for my surrounds. The HSU's look nice spec-wise though with 92dB sensitivity vs. 85 on the SVS.

For subs I'm looking at either the SVS PB-2000 or the HSU VTF-2 MK4. The HSU is tempting because even not on sale it's over $200 cheaper than the SVS, and right now it's actually on sale for $270 less. I'm sure I could probably go with SVS for the mains and pair the HSU sub with it if I decide $$$ is an issue when it's time, but the other thing is I don't know about downfiring (HSU) vs. forward firing (SVS) and if it matters since in my case it will be sitting on a tile floor. There is a large rug on the floor, but the areas where a sub might go are tile.

Anyone have some thoughts on this or other specific models from other brands to check that are the same price range? HSU has a package that is really tempting because it's 4 of their HB-1's, an HC-1, and the VTF-2 for $1300. The all SVS setup would be about $1700, or $1800 if I go with their package that replaces the front L/R with their bookshelf model of the Prime series.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT series satellites/center
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch
    Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR

Both HSU and SVS are reputable companies and stand behind their products. You really can't go wrong with either, in my opinion.

The 92db sensitivity is going to be a plus in your case. The question you have to ask yourself is do you like the sound of horn drivers? They can product a unique timber that some people do not prefer.

As for the subs, it looks like the SVS PB 2000 has more power. More power, good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Both HSU and SVS are reputable companies and stand behind their products. You really can't go wrong with either, in my opinion.

The 92db sensitivity is going to be a plus in your case. The question you have to ask yourself is do you like the sound of horn drivers? They can product a unique timber that some people do not prefer.

As for the subs, it looks like the SVS PB 2000 has more power. More power, good.
    I was worried about the horns but all the reviews I've read make it sound like they're very tame, even tamer than some dome tweeters. Apparently they're not whatever the typical horn sound is like Klipsch for instance. I will say I'm very tempted to try and fit the larger bookshelf size in for my front L/R vs. smaller satellite size like I've been using. I demo'd some Definitive stuff at Best Buy last night in one of their Magnolia rooms just for some sort of reference to start at and comparing bookshelf speakers with 6.5" cones to the smaller 5.25" ones even that was very noticeable. One thing that would help if I go with the bigger SVS speakers is that the Bookshelf model is actually 87dB vs. 85 on the Satellite, and the center is 86dB. I guess I'll probably look into listening to some stuff with horns in it to get an idea of differences even though the HSU might sound nothing like that.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch

Well, now I'm thinking of going with the PB-1000 instead of the 2000 for the smaller physical size. It will depend on if I can convince the wife of where I want to put it (assuming the new mains/etc. don't allow me to cross the sub at 80hz and stuff it between couches). My other option is to go with a narrower TV stand that I found that will allow me to slide the PB-2000 in similar to where my Velodyne is. I actually found a decent looking one on amazon that is rated for 150lbs on the top plus more on the shelves and is only 46" wide. I also looked at monoprice swing out wall mounts but I'm not sure about the durability of it or safety of having an 80lb TV hanging out fully extended 24-30" from the wall permanently.

Or I might go with my original idea of custom entertainment center with a large opening to slide the sub in. I'm not sure what effect that would have on it though. Here's a rough example. Also the second picture is where I would put the sub otherwise if I kept the current set up (except with new stands for the mains to put them flush with the wall). It's not in a walkway or anything and we don't really use that gas fireplace. Just don't know about the WAF on it. (all sketches based on a PB-2000 size)

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by cpaluda; 12-09-2015 at 03:20 PM.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch

So, since I'm now looking in the PB-2000 price range I realized I have another option. Changes things up a bit, and also potentially (but not totally) eliminates need or ability to do the custom unit (depends on how it performs). That would be going with the PC-2000 instead. If I swap my custom built front speaker stands for something like the Sonus that SVS recommends for their satellites, I can shove them in next to the entertainment center and stick the PC-200 right in front and not block anything. Or, if the performance is acceptable, pull the unit forward a few inches, and stick the PC-2000 in the back left or right corner of the cubby hole.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch

The only downside to using a powered cylinder sub is Wife Acceptance Factor, if it applies.

We use a SVS 20-39 CS+ in our main theater and the wife is cool with the look. It's a bit like a small, fuzzy, hot water heater but it kicks out some serious bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    The only downside to using a powered cylinder sub is Wife Acceptance Factor, if it applies.

We use a SVS 20-39 CS+ in our main theater and the wife is cool with the look. It's a bit like a small, fuzzy, hot water heater but it kicks out some serious bass.
    Yeah, I just figured WAF might be easier on the PC-2000 because it wouldn't potentially have to sit out in the living room like I sketched out in the photo above. Even if it did, it has a smaller footprint than the PB-2000. I think at this point I'm probably going to end up just building the custom entertainment cabinet and putting the sub in it. I ordered a 25ft. sub cable from Monoprice so I can do a sub crawl and make sure there's nothing ridiculous going on with the performance right there. Also ordered a new shorter one since I realized I'm still using the original sub cable I bought 14 years ago lol. I figured it wouldn't be a good idea to leave a 25 foot cable coiled up behind the sub. Then if I add a 2nd sub down the line, I already have a long cable ready to go as well.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch

Well, I managed to sort of test out an SVS SB-2000 sub last night. Was at a best buy that has a Magnolia Design Studio which is reported to carry SVS stuff and sure enough they had an SB-2000 in the demo room. I liked what I heard but I don't think it was up enough in volume so I'll have to go back when it's less busy and get a second listen. I still thing the PB or the cylinder version will be a better choice since I mostly do movies, but damn that SB-2000 is basically the size of my 8" ported Velodyne CHT-8 except about 2" wider. The SB-2000 goes down to 19Hz but does so 3-5dB (or more) lower than the PB or PC-2000 model.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT-8 sub
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony Touch