Thread: 4K Passive 3D

4K Passive 3D

I may be upgrading my tv this year, and wanted to know opinions on the Passve3D on 4K tvs. Specifically the LG 65UF8500.
    My kids want a 3d tv, and i don't want to spend the money and time on the active tvs and glasses. too many kids visiting to only have a few pairs. So Passive seems like what i want, and with the new 4k tvs delivering full HD to each eye, im hoping that this will suit my needs as well as my kids.
    Thoughts?

I have the LG55 OLED TV and love the 3D. I think it is passive, it's just using "simple glasses, not like the batteries powered JVC projector I have. The extra glasses are cheap. I saw Guardians, House of Wax and Oz recently and it was great.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Does the 3-D image actually popped out?
    close your face effects?

Quote Originally Posted by sddp View Post
    Does the 3-D image actually popped out?
    close your face effects?
    That's what I expected and miss most with the 3D movies I've buying. They don't put the movie "in your lap". They just give a "depth" of picture.

The cheap and easy 3D (Journey to the center of the earth) gets the Grand-kids excited. The new normal 3D is a nice picture but doesn't get you in the action.

Other than the price of glasses, is there any real advantage of Passive vs Active 3D?

I must admit that of all AV topics, I have the least experience with 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Other than the price of glasses, is there any real advantage of Passive vs Active 3D?

I must admit that of all AV topics, I have the least experience with 3D.
    Price is the one HUGE advantage in my opinion.

I paid $150.00 per pair of 3D glasses when I bought my projector.

I bought 6 pair, one of which has already been proven to not be "child proof".

No need for batteries, I'm sure, is a big plus for passive.

Banned!!!

It's no secret that I am not a fan of the current version of 3D TV. I have always said that until there is glassless 3D, I will not support it. I do, however put the passive glasses over top of the active glasses. There are many problems dealing with the batteries used in the active glasses.

Currently, we have a customer who insists on having 3D. Well, at least he puts his money where his mouth is. Next week, we are installing a system for him. The projector is the Runco D37. This projector is a double stacked design One sits on top of the other. The projector is $50K. (gulp). It comes with three processors: 1. the main processor, 2. The 3 D processor. Check out his audio system: Theta Casablanca 3 (updated with HDMI), Front Speakers: Wilson Maxx Towers, & Wilson Center Channel Speaker, Surround Sound B & W Bipolar on walls (for 7.1). He also has a Casablanca Blu Ray Player. His subwoofer is a Wilson Sub.

We are adding Bass shakers into his 6 motorized Home Theater Chairs. The tactile drivers we will install into the wooden frames of the chairs. We are powering it with 1 Pioneer mono amplifier with 1400 watts. It will easily rock all six of these chairs easily. The D37 Projector system we are installing them on the back wall on a custom made glass shelf (which will support the 100 lb Project. We are using heavy duty wall brackets which will support the weight. We will take his current projector down (a Runco CRT Projector w/ 9" guns: it's a behamouth!) Still works great. WE must use RS-232 cables to connect each of the 3 processors. This projector is rated the finest 3D of any Projector out there. Yet, we have to have it completed before XMAS. (It's possible I might have a nervous breakdown).

3D TV Is Dead. Let's Hope Smart TV Is Next.

The two 3D channels on Comcast (before they were deleted) used two pictures, either vertically or horizontally stacked. This cuts that resolution in half but they still looked pretty good. My Panny plasma uses active glasses and the effect was very good, both into and out of the screen. I still have some of those shows on my Tivo. BluRay 3D on the Oppo 93 looks great.
    JR