Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reprogrammed both my Logitech Harmony 650 remotes

I had a paradigm shift after purchasing my 2nd Harmony 650 remote and having programmed by Samsung tablet's remote app. Armed with this paradigm shift and feedback from my family (mostly complaints ) I decided to clean up the programming.

1. I went through all the devices and removed all unnecessary commands from the screens. These unnecessary commands were tested against their respective devices to what their action was if the command seemed a bit vague.
    2. I went through each activity and cleaned up the steps required to bring the system to its correct inputs.
    3. I included all the relevant commands from all the devices into each activity so no one has to switch out of the activity to the device to access these commands. They are now included with the activity. This way, if someone chooses an activity and waved the remote during the turn on process, all one needs to do is to press the inputs assigned to the command. (I may revisit and add the power buttons too)
    4. I rearranged the screens to be consistent across all activities keeping the command order the same as much as possible across all screens for all activities.
    Main/2nd/3rd System
    AVR Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V1900/RX-V1500
    Turntable ProJect Xpression III with Ortofon Red
    Cassette Deck Yamaha KX-800U/
    KX-800U/KX-630
    BluRay Yamaha BD-S681/Sony UBP-X800
    Media Player Iomega + 1TB internal drive/WD TV Live Plus + 3TB USB drive
    Display Samsung UN65KU6491 65"/UN55MU7000 55"
    Speakers Front:PSB Image T-45/400/Alphas,Center:PSB Image 8C/100C,Surrounds:PSB Image 1B/RBH A600
    Subwoofer Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 5/Energy XL-S8

Congrats on your solution. I recently bought a 650 after some of the buttons on my 700 quit working. The 650 is pretty good but it keeps forgetting my instructions, just like the 700 did. I think part of the problem is the Tivo has no on/off functioin and my ZVOX sound base
    confuses the remote also. At least I can get all my commands to work if I do some scrolling around.
    JR
    I had to sell my Harmony Touch because it would not handle the zvox at all.

One thing to be aware of are devices that have one command that sequential changes everytime its invoked. As an example, I have an old32" Toshiba CRT that has one button called TV/Video. If I press it once, it selects the input from TV to video1. If I press it again, it selects video2, and if I press it again, it selects TV again. If one of your devices have a sequential command set like that, then you need to put the device back to a known starting point in the power down.. In my case, I always power off the activity by putting the TV back with the TV input selected. I hope this helps.
    Main/2nd/3rd System
    KX-800U/KX-630
    Speakers Front:PSB Image T-45/400/Alphas,Center:PSB Image 8C/100C,Surrounds:PSB Image 1B/RBH A600

My Harmony One is still still going strong, despite being bounced off the hard wood floor many times.

I recently bought a URC MX-880 for my wife. Since all the gear is in the AV rack downstairs, the RF is nice. It was a royal pain to program, when compared to Logitec's software. However, it has a provision to deal with components that don't have a discrete power on and off command.

My daughter tried using the remote via an activity and managed to flub it up. So once she was finished with the system, I took the remote and added a few more commands to make it goof proof like adding power commands and input select command used by the devices in their respective activities. That way, if they wave the "wand" around, all they need to do is press the power and input buttons to get the acitivity correct.
    Main/2nd/3rd System
    KX-800U/KX-630

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    My Harmony One is still still going strong, despite being bounced off the hard wood floor many times.

I recently bought a URC MX-880 for my wife. Since all the gear is in the AV rack downstairs, the RF is nice. It was a royal pain to program, when compared to Logitec's software. However, it has a provision to deal with components that don't have a discrete power on and off command.
    I just read that you had bought a URC remote, what a surprise. I never expected this turn of events. I feel your "royal pain" when I buy a MX-980.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by k0rww View Post
    I just read that you had bought a URC remote, what a surprise. I never expected this turn of events. I feel your "royal pain" when I buy a MX-980.
    It would be a rather attractive paperweight if David hadn't given me some pointers. It is a completely different approach from programming the Logitec Harmony.

Just make sure that where ever you buy it from includes the software, or be prepared to pay to have it programmed.

As for my MX-880, I can't imagine why I would need the 980. The 880 can manage up to 48 devices which is way more than I will ever need.

Banned!!!

One other thing you should try. Adjust delays. Often, putting in delays MAY STOP SOME OF THESE PROBLEMS. YOU WOULD NEED TO EXPERIMENT WITH DELAYS. YOU CAN ALSO TALK TO HARMONY. CALL: 866-291-1505. GOOD LUCK.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    It would be a rather attractive paperweight if David hadn't given me some pointers. It is a completely different approach from programming the Logitec Harmony.

Just make sure that where ever you buy it from includes the software, or be prepared to pay to have it programmed.

As for my MX-880, I can't imagine why I would need the 980. The 880 can manage up to 48 devices which is way more than I will ever need.

Hi Tracy,

I have a long history with URC, starting with the MX-500, 700, 850 and finally the MX-980. I purchased my 1st MX-980 in 2007 without software. I learned to program the MX-980 by trial and error. In 2008 I purchased my 2nd MX-980 for the CCP software making things easier but not easy. I completed the programming foundation a long time ago and only update hardware as necessary. I have incorporated the URC MRF-350 RF to IR converter and a Smarthome Insteon controller. I have taken good notes or otherwise I would have to relearn everything all over again, and may have to anyway. The MX-880 was released in late 2008, I think, and wasn't an option for me. Hardware is and will remain a personal choice and would be boring any other way.

I'm pretty much in the mode of enjoying the hardware and trying unsuccessfully not to upgrade anything.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mrhookup View Post
    One other thing you should try. Adjust delays. Often, putting in delays MAY STOP SOME OF THESE PROBLEMS. YOU WOULD NEED TO EXPERIMENT WITH DELAYS. YOU CAN ALSO TALK TO HARMONY. CALL: 866-291-1505. GOOD LUCK.
    The same approach helps with programming the MX-980.
    Richard