Yamaha Aventage CX-A5100 pre/pro review

Amazingly, you can buy a pretty damn good AVR these days that’s Dolby Atmos–enabled for under $500, so why spend more if you don’t have to? Well, there are many reasons: better-quality DAC chips, enhanced features (such as multiple zones for both audio and video), and more channels of audio and associated amplification. You can also usually count on these upgrades when you move into the realm of the preamp/processor (also known as a surround processor), though with pre/pros, you’re left on your own for the amplification. It’s kind of like an impromptu college party that advertises BYOB—except, it’s BYOA: Bring Your Own Amp(s)!

Unlike the AVR market, however, your options are somewhat limited when shopping for a pre/pro, especially in the $1,000-to-$5,000 price range. There are three major players here—Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo (and its sister brand Integra)—as well as lesser-known products from some Internet-direct companies.

The three majors all offer Atmos-enabled pre/pros with a bevy of similar feature sets, but only Marantz and Yamaha so far have promised an upgrade to the Atmos competitor DTS:X. The Yamaha CX-A5100 sits in the middle of the pack price-wise at $3,000 (not counting a limited-time Yamaha promotion that brought it to $2,500 as of early November). But it offers a boatload of features to accompany its flagship status in the company’s Aventage line of products.

Read more at Yamaha Aventage CX-A5100 Surround Processor Review | Sound & Vision
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Nice write up, David. I like the nice clean look of the front of this unit.

I wrote Yamaha off years ago, after three disappointing AVR purchases. However, the issues I had were more related to their internal amps not being able to properly drive my speakers.

One statement you made still rings true. Every Yamaha HT product I have owned had a boat load of DSP modes, most of which were awful. I never really understood why they included them. However, it sounds like this is a solid product and it certainly helps to fill a much needed void in the home theater processor price range. Thanks for posting about your review.