Anthem Announces AVM 60 Preamp

Name:  Anthem-AVM60.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  9.1 KB

Audio manufacturer Anthem has announced their newest home theater processor/preamp, the AVM 60.

The new piece features 11 channels, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and has integrated DTS Play-Fi for wireless multi-room audio streaming. The AVM 60's eight HDMI inputs are version 2.0a, which means they will support HDR and HDCP 2.2. Since it's an Anthem product, it includes the company's own room correction software.

The AVM 60 will be available this month at a price point of $2999. Here's the press release from Anthem.

From Anthem
    Anthem Electronics is pleased to announce the next generation of its award-winning high-end preamplifier-processor, the AVM 60. Few preamplifiers-processors offer the innovation and performance found in the all-new AVM 60. Added features include Dolby Atmos immersive audio decoding and future upgrade for DTS:X immersive audio decoding, support for UHD Blu-ray and 4K60 through HDMI 2.0a with HDR, HDCP 2.2 and 18.2 Gbps switching. Other AVM 60 improvements include any source downmix to Zone 2 and the fixed-level line outputs, as well as expanded menu options for convenience and ease of setup. AVM 60 includes two subwoofer jacks and a front USB port for software updates. The front HDMI input supports MHL, as does one of the seven HDMI inputs on the back.

Audiophile-friendly features include a toroidal power supply, premium differential-output D/A converters with 32-bit conversion and sampling rate-optimized filters for high-resolution sound. Premium A/D converters with 106 dB signal to noise ratio ensure the highest-quality sound when using analog sources.

Additional features include wireless network correction which can also be used while running the award-winning Anthem Room Correction system, now with improved correction algorithms, memory for four speaker configurations for greater flexibility and an easier to use Targets panel for custom settings.

Anthem's AVM 60 is also breaking new ground by being the first preamplifier-processor to feature DTS Play-Fi technology. The AVM 60 provides listeners the freedom and flexibility to stream their high-resolution, lossless music over a Wi-Fi network to any number of connected speakers once paired with the Play-Fi App. Unlike other wireless platforms, DTS Play-Fi streams music through an interoperable system, allowing listeners to mix and match DTS Play-Fi-enabled audio products from a selection of top audio brands. Using the Android, iOS, Kindle Fire or PC apps, listeners can take advantage of endless music choices from their own libraries, including file formats up to 24-bit/192-kHz, to online music streaming services like Tidal, Spotify, Rdio, Songza, Pandora, SiriusXM, Rhapsody and more.
    On paper, this pre/pro looks great. Anyone heard anything about it?

Tracy, didn't you order one of these? I ordered one today to replace my Marantz, that's working perfectly, but it's reaching the end of its life cycle and I'd like to sell it while it still has a decent resale value and will use this Anthem until the next Marantz is released (and depending on how well the Anthem works for me, I may not get the new Marantz). Anyway, if you have one, let me know what you think.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Yes, I did buy the AVM 60 and I love it.

This is my first time owning an Anthem product but have always heard owners brag about how good they sounded. Wasn't their old slogan something like, "It sounds so darned analogue", or something like that?

I wouldn't say it's exactly analogue as that means a lot of different things to different people. However, I do prefer the ARC EQ software to any Audyssey product that I have owned. Part of it is all the different parameters that you can set. I am not going to pretend that I know all about it, but it does seem more flexible. It also was able to better control my sub and the graphs are pretty cool and show you the before and after response curves.

For movies, I would say that the Anthem is slightly more detailed than my Marantz. The dialogue seems slightly crisper and the LFE is most definitely more in control and flat in my room. For music, it's a lot better than my Marantz but I was coming from the AV-7005 which I dinged for sucking the life out of music although it sounds fantastic with movies.

I think you'll like it and I would definitely be interested in hearing your comparison to your Marantz.

I reviewed the AVR version late last year and liked that a lot. I'll let you know what I think once I get it installed.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine