Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HBO Go & HBO Now Fail During Game of Thrones Opener

Name:  hbo_now_go.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  26.8 KB

HBO made a lot of cord cutters happy when they announced their mobile streaming and Over the Top services. HBO Go and HBO Now allows mobile users and those who don't want to be tied to a cable or satellite service, access to their programming.

As you can imagine, there were record numbers of viewers ready for HBO's season six opener of Game of Thrones. Sadly, it appears that both the HBO Go and HBO Now services both had widespread outages, during that time. According to users' tweets on HBO's Twitter pages, the services started experiencing problems prior the show's start time. Some users either experienced freezing or couldn't log into the service at all. Some users were able to access the service about half way through the program, while others missed it all together.

My wife watches Shark Tank and many times you hear about those who are on the show, and their websites crashing due to all the traffic. Well it appears that HBO may grossly underestimated to popularity of the Game of Thrones season six premier.

After all, we all want to see what happens to Jon Snow, right?

Tracy,

Not only did their app crash, but the Comcast feed was utter crap with a shitload of banding and an overall flat presentation. I think the demands on Comcast for the premiere were more than their network could handle as well. Probably the single worst presentation I've watched via HD cable--ever!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I have it on my DVR recorded from DirecTV. I haven't watched it yet, but will post what I see.

NO SPOILERS !!!

someone dies.. that is all. lol
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

I thought the episode was just OK...not great. It's more of a catch up with all the different story lines to set up the rest of the season.
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleJ View Post
    someone dies.. that is all. lol
    That's grounds for banishment.

With this show, it's to be expected. Word of advice, don't get too attached to any particular character.

There is one particular story line that I hope they go back and pick up. I won't spoil it for those who haven't read the books, but it involves a member of the Stark family.

I still haven't found time to watch the episode. Business has been busy and our daughter has state testing this week.

That is so true Tracy, one thing with this show, don't get attached to a particular character!
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleJ View Post
    That is so true Tracy, one thing with this show, don't get attached to a particular character!
    I was really a big fan of Ned Stark, from the very start of the series. He was the guy that was honorable above all else. See what that got him?

I think there's still some interesting and untold backstory about Ned and Jon Snow. I'm not totally convinced that he's Jon's father. I'll not spoil this thread with my theories, but I'd say that Ned never "stepped out" on Catlyn.

I also have an idea about what's going to be going on with Jon going forward. I'm betting that the season five closer, isn't the last we see of him.

Tracy,

From what I've read, that member of the Stark family that you refer to (who was ignored all last season), will be more prominent this year. I personally think his "gift" will be used with one of the dragons that are in play. The next book in my reading queue is the first book of the series.
    David Vaughn