Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suggestions for a new subwoofer

I would like to buy a new sub woofer for my upstairs room. This is not my big media room where I am totally happy with my SVS subs.

I have a room maybe 12' x 10' where I have placed Sonance in wall speakers, three in the front and three in the back. I do not have room on the floor for a sub. To the left of my television I have a cabinet that is perhaps 6 feet tall. I'd like to place a small Sub on top of that. First is that a good idea? Second, can you recommend a nice sub? I do not want to spend $500 for an SVS sub. I was thinking of going about half that price. Any suggestions?
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Polk Audio PSW10 will fit price-wise. I have heard it is a decent sub, but it won't dig anywhere near as deep as the SVS. On sale, I have seen them less than $200. It looks like they are about $120 on Newegg right now.

PSW10 - Polk Audio

Maybe David will have another suggestion.

Barry,

This one would do the trick: https://rslspeakers.com/products/rsl-speedwoofer-10s/

It's OUTSTANDING! I just reviewed it for the magazine and was blown-away by its performance. It's more than the $250 you want to spend though. As Tracy said, the PSW10 would probably do the trick as well if you'd like to go that route.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

David, thanks, I think this is the one I will get. It will be about $100 less than the SVS sub. do you know how they compare? If I can get the SVS for about the same price which would you take? (I don't know if I can). It;s the PB 1000

SVS PB-1000 Powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Barry,

I'd get the RSL. The bass response is excellent on it...it's fast, plays deeper than it should for its size, and I liked it enough to keep one of the two I reviewed for my secondary system.
    David Vaughn

Will do. Dave, thanks so much. And you too Tracy!!!

And my first movie will be the Lone Ranger!!!!!
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Ordered it.!!!!!!!!! Really, thanks. There was free shipping and no tax. I'll have it by Friday or next Monday. David and Tracy you are invited over for the first movie and popcorn!

Name:  Speedwoofer-10S-Diagram-e1458252491812.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  19.3 KB
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Barry,

Be sure to let me know how you like it!
    David Vaughn

Just for future reference, SVS has B-stock subs as well.

I get it on Friday. I'll probably be watching Captain America at the movie theater so it'll take me till the weekend to set up. Again thanks for your help. I can always rely on this site to give me the right information.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp