The Revenant (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  rev.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  29.1 KB

Plot
    Inspired by true events and winner of 3 Oscars, The Revenant follows the story of legendary explorer Hugh Glass on his quest for survival and justice. After a brutal bear attack, Glass is left for dead by a treacherous member of his hunting team. Against extraordinary odds, and enduring unimaginable grief, Glass battles a relentless winter in uncharted terrain.

My Thoughts
    DiCaprio finally gets his Oscar, but it took getting raped by a bear to earn it—wow, Hollywood is a tough town! I didn’t find the film that compelling due to the over the top situations that the protagonist must survive and by about the third or fourth one I turned to my wife and said, “Seriously?” Regardless, DiCaprio does an excellent job and while I don’t think this was his best performance of his excellent body of work, it’s certainly near the top.

The video encode is to die for and is the best so far on the infant format. The film was shot only in natural light and the results are spectacular, especially with fine detail and the depth in the image is 3D-like without the stupid glasses. Sadly, the audio track is standard DTS-HD MA 7.1, which is excellent in its own regard, but I would have loved to have had the theatrical Atmos track and have deducted .5 points out of spite!

Video 10/10 (MVC)

Audio 9.5/10 DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Special Features:

• A World Unseen
    • Gallery
    • Blu-ray and UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
    At nearly two and a half hours, this film really drags throughout the second act and some of the conditions that our hero is placed in are a bit far-fetched. That being said, the performances are very good and the cinematography is to die for. Definitely check this one out, especially in 4K!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

sorry dave, cant read ur review until i watch it!

la, la, la, la (while holding hands over ears)

Come back after
    David Vaughn

ok, finally got a chance to watch this. on lowly bluray.

some spoilers below. u have been warned!

C'mon guys, is this not the best Terrence Malick/Tarantino collaboration film u've seen in years?! Based on that type of combination, it is more of a Nicolas Winding Refn project.

First, the eye candy:

Holy crap this thing is gorgeous. and while i couldnt wait for the next morning scene in the trees, what blew me away were the fire place scenes. the only word that comes to me on those is pure. i cant imagine what it looked like in 4k HDR.

Sound:

one of the things i thought the film did extremely well was putting me there, and the sound had a ton to do with it along with the fantastic cinematography. the water, the trees creaking, the feet in snow, the wind. beautiful and miserable at the same time.

i think i liked this a little more than david did. but any father son theme gets me right away.

were there too many obstacles for glass to overcome? hell yes! the pinto suit pushed me a bit over the top but i can overlook it. maybe inarritu wanted a live action paul bunyon type story? doesnt matter to me.

i didnt get the fascination with birdman, wasnt my cup of tea. this was way more up my alley.

Just saw this on cable. Wow. Saved the bear scene to scare the crap out of my wife and daughter. Since was true story, that guy Glass was a hell of a dude, way beyond my capabilities.
    JR

Very intense scene indeed!
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    Just saw this on cable. Wow. Saved the bear scene to scare the crap out of my wife and daughter. Since was true story, that guy Glass was a hell of a dude, way beyond my capabilities.
    JR
    Fun fact: the "real" Hugh Glass nearly died tracking down those who left him for dead... all so he could forgive them.

That truth doesn't jibe with Hollywood's need to have the hero take down the bad guy, of course. But given the complex nature of Hardy's character, and his "Sorry, Leo, I'm gonna act circles around you. Try to keep up" performance, I think it would have worked well here if Glass forgave him.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

I order The Revenant to see the outstanding scenes in 4K which David is raving about. The movie should be in the mail box on Sunday. I can rewatch a movie after a year or so and still enjoy the movie as a first time. I call this an asset, unfortunately it's really a deficiency.
    Richard

Your rrecommendation was spot on

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Name:  rev.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  29.1 KB

Conclusion
    At nearly two and a half hours, this film really drags throughout the second act and some of the conditions that our hero is placed in are a bit far-fetched. That being said, the performances are very good and the cinematography is to die for. Definitely check this one out, especially in 4K!
    David:

I watch the movie last night in 4K, Amazon delivered a day early.
    I'm glad I followed your recommendation. There was more detail in the scenes than I had time to look for.
    Thoroughly enjoyed the movie the 2nd time around in 4K. The video detail kept the movie from dragging on for me. The Blu-ray version, watched almost two years ago, did drag-on for me.
    Momma bears with cubs, are a force to be reckoned with!
    Richard

Richard,

It definitely looks great, that's for sure. The cinematography is amazing!
    David Vaughn