Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

he RSL 105 Subwoofer

The RSL 105 Subwoofer

My “secondary” room started, 25 years as a place for my girlfriend to watch TV without being intimidated by the BIG stuff in the newly named “media” room. However, it slowly became the room that we watched the news, Jeopardy, and late night ball games. And late night movies. Casablanca is perfect there; Star Wars is in the big room.

Originally, 25 years ago, my little room had a 25 inch Sony SD TV, a Sony receiver, small B and W in wall speakers, three in the front and three in the back. My biggest mistake was installing a in ceiling Sonance Virtuoso Sub-Woofer and separate amp. BIG MISTAKE. And my dealer put it in the wrong place too. (But the hole already drilled)

My little room now has: an Oppo 95, 55EC930 OLED LG and a Marantz 7009

Last year I replaced the 20 year old in wall speakers with the Sonance VP88.

This week I replaced the awful sub-woofer with a perfect one for that room. The RSL tech person told me to adjust my crossovers, in the Marantz and on the sub to 100. The hooking up and total adjustment time on the sub was maybe one minute.

Instead of bass, with the older Sonance, I often heard noise and bass “buzzing.” The dialogue out of my speakers was not clear and the separation was poor. I thought it was the speakers. When I played the new, terrible Fantastic Four movie with the Sonance Sub you heard LOUD clipping and distortion, I had to mute the sound.

Then I installed the RSL. Wow. First, I did play certain parts Fantastic Four movie again and it sounds perfect, no distortion, no clipping, it sounded perfect. I then played blu rays of Jurassic World and Crimson Tide. I watched some TV, Yankees, a few minutes of movies and the news.

What an amazing difference. The dialogue was clear and distinct, the separation was greatly improved, the rumble of the Sub in CT was great and you could feel it too.

This is the perfect sub for this room. Now, it’s not in wall. I had to place it on top of a Cabinet. It looks silly, but sounds great. Also, I titled it so that it is not facing directly at us, but perhaps and a 45% angle towards the center of the room. For a small system and a small room, this is perfect. Thanx to David for recommending it.

Everything sounds better and really great. The one thing it could not do, however, is make the Fantastic Four and Jurassic World better movies. They both were awful.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

So.........you've had a girfriend for 25 years?

Seriously, it's good to hear that your new sub is working great. I remember my first sub a Klipsch SW-12, I think it was. It was a great sounding sub for rounding out the bottom end for music. Funny you should mention Jurassic World, Jurassic Park was one of the first movies that I bought for my first home theater. Starting with that film, it was clear that maybe my sub wasn't up to par. I eventually bought a SVS, which I still run in my main theater.

It's nice when making one change, that doesn't break the bank, makes such a huge positive difference in your enjoyment.

Barry,

Glad you like the sub, but just to clarify, it's an RSL Speedwoofer 10S (the S does look like a 5 on the box though ). Second, Jurassic World isn't terrible, it just isn't terribly original. Granted, it's no Lone Ranger, but it has its moments.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Okay, let me straighten things out. I should have written \my girlfriend of 25 years ago. I haven;t seen her in 24 years!!!! She liked to watch Oprah and soap operas so i needed a room where I did not have to be!

Yes, I had seen HW before, but it had so many MORE stupid moments, especially her running around in high heels for the entire movie. But they kept placing people in danger. Who has kids ride through a Dinosaur park in a bubble?

And the birds when they escaped (I don't know how to spell pterodactyl ) attacked people like they were in a Alfred Hitchcock movie. They were NOT hunting for food, they eat veggies and fish, and they would be as scared of people and people would be of them. But the dinos became bloodhounds, with a great sense of smell and they became "human" hunters. Please give me a break. Sounded great and I thought I saw Johnny Deep as Tonto is one of the museums!
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Name:  Smaller room.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  93.9 KB

I think it was Tracy who asked to see pictures of the new sub and thew room. When i bought my house I DID want a room for my stereo, 25 years ago I did not even think of a home theater. Same is true for my secondary (or as we call it, the "upstairs" system. So when HT came we had to improvise (in both places). Here you can see the three front speakers. Also note that we have been playing with and rotating the new sub to get the best sound. I had no where on the floor to place it, so it goes on top of the dresser. It bothers no one, but it does look silly.

And if you look behind the new sub, on the ceiling, you may see the old in ceiling sub. I told the installer to put it in the middle, but he didn't listen to me. The walls are not blue, but blackish, but I lightened things up for the photo.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Barry, I was going to give you "mad props" for keeping a fine woman for 25 years without "puttin' a ring on it".

As for the sub, as long as it performs well, put it where you please.

Your last sentence holds true for old girlfriends too.
    Last edited by Lefisc; 05-15-2016 at 07:20 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Barry, how do you like the bass response from the sub? I was shocked at how deep it went when I reviewed it given its dainty sized box.
    David Vaughn

David and the gang, I just wanted to give you an update on the sub woofer.

I was not enthralled (but now I am) with my new in wall Sonance speakers. They were OK, but not upfront, nor did I get the separation and fidelity I had hoped. But in walls are not exchangeable. That has changed.

I realize now that the 20 year old in wall sub that I had was the major problem. I am astonished how great EVERYTHING now sounds. Great fidelity, great separation, great everything. For the first time I put on "regular" music. I was surprised how ell everything sounded with my Oppo 95 and Marantz 709. This was just a perfect purchase.

The bass response is so much better than I thought I would get from a speaker this size, at this price and where I had to put it. It is a clear, strong and firm sound. I vibrates the room just enough when necessary. I would have no problem recommending this.
    Last edited by Lefisc; 05-23-2016 at 01:01 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Glad you like it Barry!
    David Vaughn