Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (Blu-ray) review

Name:  13 hours.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  30.3 KB

Plot
    When everything went wrong, six men had the courage to do what was right. Follow the elite ex-military operators who fought back against overwhelming odds to save American lives in this film that portrays true heroism.

My Thoughts
    I’ve never been a huge fan of Michael Bay’s movies, but this is by far his best yet. He takes a complicated story based on the book from Michael Zuckoff, and gets it on the screen keeping the story intact and doesn’t drown it out with overzealous stunts and explosions. Sure, there’s definitely some of Bay’s visual style in the film, but it’s secondary to the actual compelling true story.

The film doesn’t veer into the political aspects of who ordered the “Stand Down” command, which ultimately cost Ambassador Chris Stevens’ life along with three others (Sean Smith, Glen Doherty, and Tyrone Woods), but they do explore the happenings on the ground, their constant plea for help from the Annex staff (that were ignored for some unknown reason), and how the small band of ex-military contractors were able to hold off hundreds of attackers throughout the nights and save everyone within the Annex.

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)

Audio 5/5 (Dolby Atmos – True HD 7.1 core)

Special Features:

• For the Record: Finding the Truth Amid the Noise
    • Uncovering Benghazi’s Secret Soldiers
    • Preparing for Battle: Behind the Scenes of 13 Hours
    • Operation: 13 Hours Premier
    • In Memoriam
    • DVD + UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
    Sadly, this film was released in January without much fanfare and not many people have seen it, but they really need to. It’s a true story based upon what happened on the ground in Benghazi and despite the political misfires on the home front about the cause—it was NOT an Internet video as was originally claimed by the Obama administration—it’s well worth watching. In fact, the “For the Record” featurette is another reason to buy along with the excellent movie and kick-ass soundtrack. Highly recommended.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanks for the review. I will watch this one.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

I agree with Dave, this is a must watch and its bay's best by far.

What these men are capable of doing in the worst possible situation is way beyond me. Having a presence in every shithole in the world puts our men and women in harms way. without these men there, I don't want to imagine what would have happened.

Bay, thankfully, steers clear as best he can from politicizing.

The sound, as expected, was spectacular. Accurate sounding weapons and all of your speakers get worked out. Best I've heard since lone survivor. The video was just as good as the sound. The details in the close ups and overall, including night scenes will have you wanting to see it again.

I realize I'm close to nine months behind on this review but it had such an emotional impact on my wife and I that I had to post. This should be required watching for all of America. I know it's a dramatization but I think most folks would come away disgusted and angry about how these Americans were abandoned and left to die. By not politicizing the film, Bay said much more with less. The characters looks of desperation said it all.
    Last edited by jive420; 05-01-2017 at 06:19 PM.

I totally missed this review and the release of the movie.

Thanks for the review, David and Jive for bringing it to my attention.

This movie came and went in the blink of an eye. Bay is pretty much a Transformers machine at this point and his more "personal" movies, being this and Pain and Gain have made nothing.

I assumed this would be Transformers without the robots, hence why bother, but after reading this I'll check it out. If nothing else I know I'm gonna get big explosions and ear-shattering sound.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    This movie came and went in the blink of an eye. Bay is pretty much a Transformers machine at this point and his more "personal" movies, being this and Pain and Gain have made nothing.

I assumed this would be Transformers without the robots, hence why bother, but after reading this I'll check it out. If nothing else I know I'm gonna get big explosions and ear-shattering sound.
    Not a Bay fan at all and found this movie well outside his normal junk that he is known for. This is a well crafted film on all accounts.
    David Vaughn

We watched this last night on Amazon Prime. If this is truly what happened in Benghazi then there should have been a major house cleaning in our government. Whoever was responsible for the non-action to protect our citizens and get them out safely, should be jailed.

Good movie and sad that it went down the way that it did. The whole situation seems like it would have been totally avoidable especially with better intel and support.

According to the people on the ground, this is exactly what happened. Left out to die, plain and simple.
    David Vaughn

Good show guys.