Monolith 7x200 Power Amp by Monoprice

Name:  monolith amp.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  14.9 KB

For the longest time, I considered Monoprice.com as the place for finding inexpensive cables. However, they have been expanding their offerings and now have a serious looking, multi-channel power amp listed on their site. The Monolith is the company's seven channel home theater amp that delivers a lot of power, at an affordable price.

The Monolith is rated at 200 watts per channel at 8 ohms, 300 watts per channel at 4 ohms, and does this with only 0.03% total harmonic distortion at that rated power. The site lists the Monolith as incorporating two toroidal transformers to power the seven channels. This allows each channel to have its own windings in the transformer. This in conjunction with each channel also having individual storage capacitors, means that if one channel gets "maxed out" the others should remain stable. While this isn't quite as ideal as totally separate power supplies for each channel, it's much better than what's found in any AVR out there.

The amp is an AB design which means it should run cooler and be more energy efficient, while still offering some of the sonic benefits of a strict Class A design.

Monoprice offers the Monolith for $1499.00 with a three year warranty. It's a great-looking amp on paper and one that David Vaughn called "One of the best and most affordable home theater amps I've auditioned" in his Sound & Vision review.

Here's the product page. Monolith 7x200 Watts Per Channel Multi-Channel Home Theater Power Amplifier - Monoprice.com

I stumbled across it while looking for something else. Anyone else heard of it?

I've heard of it...I was the first reviewer to get one: Monoprice Monolith 7 Amplifier Review | Sound & Vision

Outstanding value!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I was thinking it looked a bit like many of the ATI core amps that we've seen. Then I read some of the comments on your review.

It's not a bad thing, just saying it looks familiar.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

Its an ATI just like some Outlaw amps and many others...

We've got a review coming by Dennis Burger.

It is an ATI-made amp...the bottom of the box had an ATI stamp on it
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Dennis' review is up, and it's very positive. If both David and Dennis both give it glowing reviews, it must be a solid piece.

Multi-Channel Amplifier Reviews: Monoprice Monolith 7 Seven-Channel Amplifier Reviewed