Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

Led Zeppelin Wins Stairway To Heaven Case

Check it out...

I thought it was close.

I bet WRONG on the Marvin Gaye - Robin Thicke suit as I still don't think you can copyright a "groove" but a jury felt differently.

My son, who's a musician, was shocked that the jury ruled this way. In the Thicke/Gaye case, Thicke was using a sample (similar to Vanilla Ice's "Ice, Ice, Baby." I think that if someone uses a sample of another song as a "hook," some type of royalty should be paid from the standpoint of the song being "familiar" because of that sample. In the Zeppelin case...it sounded like a rip-off to me.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

WOW, I would have thought it was a slam dunk for Spirit. I really like Led Zeppelin but it's almost identical chords and chord progression.

I'll have to do some digging to find it, but there was a story that listed a Classical composition that used an almost identical chord progression. It was written a few hundred years ago, so maybe they both ripped off that song.

From Audiofanzine,

This is not the first time Page, Plant and company have had to deal with copyright infringement charges. Back in “the day” (which in this case refers to 1972), the publishing company associated with Chess Records sued Led Zeppelin for infringing on the copyrights of blues greats Willie Dixon and Howlin’ Wolf in the songs “Bring it on Home” and “The Lemon Song,” respectively. The case was settled out court, so there was never any verdict reached.

Quote Originally Posted by jive420 View Post
    From Audiofanzine,

This is not the first time Page, Plant and company have had to deal with copyright infringement charges. Back in “the day” (which in this case refers to 1972), the publishing company associated with Chess Records sued Led Zeppelin for infringing on the copyrights of blues greats Willie Dixon and Howlin’ Wolf in the songs “Bring it on Home” and “The Lemon Song,” respectively. The case was settled out court, so there was never any verdict reached.
    I could see this having going either way; there are SOME similarities, & I don't buy that they'd never heard the song. The main reason i wanted to see LZ lose was payback for all the Chicago Bluesmen they so badly ripped off.

The one that's always blown me away is how TF did Country Joe McDonald (who I do really like) ever win the plagiarism suite on Fixin' To Die Rag SUPPOSEDLY not being stolen from Kid Ory's Jazz standard Muskrat Ramble? The chorus's are 100% identical.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1