Thread: TiVo Series 3

TiVo Series 3

So, my Series 3 is still going strong (I've replaced both the hard drive for more capacity and the power supply, that went out a couple of years ago), but alas, it needs to be retired because Comcast is going to MPEG-4 and it isn't compatible. Fortunately, my TiVo HD and Premiere are both compatible, so I'm not going to get screwed too bad.

I called TiVo this weekend and was able to get a Roamio for $25 + $350 for the lifetime service. I could have gone with the Roamio Pro or Bolt, but both were a lot more money and the lifetime was $550 (total cost would have been almost $900 versus $375). I've already ordered a new hard drive for $75 from Amazon to upgrade it to 2 Terabits from 500MB, so all told, I'm out about $450.

I plan on listing the Series 3 on eBay in order to transfer my lifetime warranty unless someone here wants to make me an offer. I absolutely LOVE TiVo and have 3 of them in my house (actually, two...one is in the garage on a TV that I watch when exercising).
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I miss my Tivos. I had three of them networked together so I could transfer recordings, but this was back before DirecTV went HD. Even after that, I kept them so I could archive kids' programming for our daughter. Even to this day, they could still record the SD channels, but one by one they died and I didn't see the need to repair them.

Good luck with your sale.

So new cable cards would not fix your model 3?
    JR

No. TiVo wants people to upgrade. Supposedly they were forced by the Australian government to update the Series 3 in that country but they don't have to do it here.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine