Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgrading to Atmos/DTS:X HELP

Hi all,

I’m getting ready to upgrade to Atmos/DTS:X and I need help/recommendations.

I have a dedicated room (20x15)

My actual system is a 7.2 :

- Denon AVR-X3100W: 7.2
    - Oppo - 103D
    - Front towers: Dali Ikon 6: Tower Speaker [2x 6.5 Diver; 37-30,000 Hz; 150 Watt] 8 ohm
    - Center: Dali Ikon Vokal 2: Center Speaker [2x 5 Driver; 55-30,000 Hz; 150 Watt] 8 ohm
    - Surrounds: 4 x In-Ceiling/In-Wall Speaker with slim line grill, 5.25” woofer, 120 Watt 8 ohm
    - 2 x SVS PB-2000

I want to setup a 7.2.4 system and with that there are no options for a single receiver (with Atmos and DTS:X)

I have done some basic research on my options I have come up with two:

Expensive: Move to separates

- Marantz AV8802A
    - Marantz MM8077 x 2

- Total list price: US$ 8,700.00 (Ebay Total price: US$ 6,200.00)

Alternative: Mix of Receiver and extra amp

- Denon AVR-X7200WA

- Emotiva XPA Gen 3 (4 channels)

- Total List price: US$ 4,300.00

More information:
    - I use system mainly for movies (but some concerts once in a while)
    - Use the system maybe 2 to 3 times a week
    - Sometimes (when alone at home) I can set volume to 65% . Sometimes I want more, but increasing volume from 65% to more is not very noticeable (specially in music and concerts). Not sure if the receiver is doing something on the background blocking the increase or if I basically reached the max power.
    - I’m not millionaire so money counts but I have been able to save money enough to cover the 8K if I really need to.

Based on this, what do you guys think will be more convenient for me ? Is it worth to expend 8K, and go separates ? will I REALLY feel the difference in power and quality in my small room ?
    Will my speakers be able to handle more power than what the current receiver can send ? Will they be able to handle the power from the AV8802A and MM8077 ?

Thanks,

Here's a good place to start: Atmos Makeover: A Space Odyssey, Part 1 | Sound & Vision

I would also look at the Monoprice Monolith amp: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14566

I reviewed it here: Monoprice Monolith 7 Amplifier Review | Sound & Vision

It's one of the best values in home theater right now. You could get the 7200 and use the monolith for the 7 bed channels and use the AVR for the Atmos speakers, or go the pre/pro (which I use) and get two monolith amps or find a 4-channel one). I currently use a Parasound A51 and a Parasound Zonemaster 125 bridged into 6 zones for my other 6 speakers (back surrounds and 4 Atmos speakers).
    Last edited by David Vaughn; 07-29-2016 at 03:19 PM.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

I like the Marantz option.

Moving to a dedicated power amp means never having to worry about having enough clean power and available headroom to properly drive your speakers. I like that.

I also like that Marantz pre/pro and the price and performance that Monolith amp has going for it. These two would be my choice, but would would not be wrong to buy the matching Marantz amps either.

Outlaw Audio also makes solid power amps and I would not hesitate to recommend them or buy one for my own use. However, the Monolith will likely be the better deal, especially if you don't need the balanced inputs that the Outlaw offers.

I think the Marantz amp is overpriced and under powered compared to the Monolith.

Also, like Outlaw, the Monolith is built by ATI.
    David Vaughn

Guys,

Thank for your response.

Seems then general agreement is go separates. As I thought seems to be the better path in long term.

@David, I've read your article, very nice. Would still recommend the Atlantic IC-6 OBA speakers ? Do you think there are better options in the market now ?

The ceiling is at 8 feet high (highest part) but is not all flat ... so looks like this

Name:  screen.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  35.0 KB

How bad would be to put speakers on wall "1" ? For sure installation will be much easier in my case. I think is not impossible to put them on the actual ceiling (2) though.

Where is your seating position?

As for speakers. Yes, I like them, but I've heard very good things about these: https://rslspeakers.com/products/c34...iling-speaker/ and the price is good on them. I just installed some of their RSL W26 in-wall speakers for my second system and am very impressed.
    David Vaughn

Well main seat is at the center on that picture. So the angled walls are the same on both sides. But I guess your point is that the seats closer to those walls will be very affected by the angle and no so much if they are flat, right ?

I will read more about those speakers, certainly the price is better. Thank you.

Oh !. One more thing, any special care with the amps getting so hot ? ... The room has AC and I won't put them inside an enclosed space ... but usually l like to turn the AC off while watching a movie because the fan noise bothers me but by the end of the movie the room is hot ... around 80 F in summer (texas).

I have active cooling in my rack from these guys: www.coolerguys.com

Amps are like space heaters!
    David Vaughn

As for speaker placement, I'd avoid angled walls, if possible;e. You'd like them firing straight down.
    David Vaughn