Unhappy Using A Computer for Streaming, etc.

I built a computer specifically for streaming movies, etc. With it, I expected to be able to listen to all audio streams, DTS, True HD,, etc. The mainboard I am using is an ASUS H81M-A board with HDMI and they advertise full HD audio stream support, using the HDMI port. My CPU is an Intel Core i3 dual core and I am running 4 gigs of Ram. My hard drive is a 1 TB, WD Red. Oh, and Windows 7 Pro, SP1.

Problem is, Yes, I get 7.1 throughput, as set in Windows, but when looking at the stream, (Or BD disk) the receiver only shows PCM, no DTS, no True HD, etc. I called ASUS and the tech guy didn't speak English very well, so he was of no help.

1 other bit of frustration, when playing a BD disk, the sound lags a full 1/4 second.

Is there something else I must do to get full usage and correct the sound lag issue?? Very frustrating.

Thanks in advance!!

MC

We have a couple of guys that have built HTPCs and are very knowledgeable about them. However, I am not one of them.

Hopefully they will see this and be able to help.

MCharlie, by streaming i am assuming u mean netflix, vudu, amazon prime etc. correct?

if so, u will hard pressed to find anything above 5.1 dolby digital. the dts ma-hd and dolby true hd streams require a ton of data and speed. most streaming services lack the hd audio streams for that reason.

now for bluray playback or rips of ur blurays, try xbmc now called kodi. simple to setup and will provide u with the hd audio u r looking for.

hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
    MCharlie, by streaming i am assuming u mean netflix, vudu, amazon prime etc. correct?

if so, u will hard pressed to find anything above 5.1 dolby digital. the dts ma-hd and dolby true hd streams require a ton of data and speed. most streaming services lack the hd audio streams for that reason.

now for bluray playback or rips of ur blurays, try xbmc now called kodi. simple to setup and will provide u with the hd audio u r looking for.

hope this helps.
    I thought he wanted to stream movies from his HTPC, but he confused me by talking about his receiver. He didn't reply back to your response so I guess we are talking among ourselves. I'm using this motherboard in 1' cubic case for general Internet use.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by k0rww View Post
    I thought he wanted to stream movies from his HTPC, but he confused me by talking about his receiver. He didn't reply back to your response so I guess we are talking among ourselves. I'm using this motherboard in 1' cubic case for general Internet use.
    ah, if he is looking to stream from his pc to other tv's that is a different ball game.

I currently have no solution to stream my ripped blurays wireless to the other tv's in my house without lag and choppiness. too much data i guess to go from pc to router then to fire stick.

dvd's are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
    ah, if he is looking to stream from his pc to other tv's that is a different ball game.

I currently have no solution to stream my ripped blurays wireless to the other tv's in my house without lag and choppiness. too much data i guess to go from pc to router then to fire stick.
    dvd's are fine.

I have a QNAP TS659 Pro II with streaming capability but I don't stream anything anymore. If I want to watch a movie I use the media room. I used to multiplex on UHF channels a DVD player and a DVR.

The only thing that is still used is the DVD output of the Genie's DVR which is multiplex and received on UHF channel 16 in the reloading room so I can listen to the news. Any room where movies are watched have their own DVR & Blu-ray player. I even built a HTPC and started to move all the Blu-ray movies to its hard drives before I got bored and stopped. I decided it was easier to just change discs. The HTPC hasn't been used in years.

For the most part I've been there, done that and now I just enjoy watching movies and listening to music. My days of experimenting and being at the forefront of technology are over, except for building and networking computers which is slowing down.
    Richard

What are you using for a player? The player used must be set to bitstream (I.E. Jriver). The computer can be considered the vehicle but the player software is the true interface between your receiver and your computer.
    Infinity Composition Prelude P-FR L/R, Infinity Overture 1 center, Front hgts, and side surrounds, Infinity FPS-1000 Rear surround and rear hgt, Acoustic Elegance P1152 subs (x2) SVS 16-46 (x2), (x2) B&K Reference 200.7 power amp, Denon AVR X4300H, Yamaha MX-830, Behringer NU4-6000, 8 core HTPC W/Blu-ray W/Jriver nVidia 1060gtx 6gb,Hybrid tube DAC W/Burson Vivid, Silicondust HDHR3 Prime, TCL 4K 55 inch LCD, Vivitek HK2288 4K Projector