Does Anyone Know Of A Quality Tech For Hi End Audio Gear In Washington State?

My Esoteric (formerly Teac's hi end brand; it's been sold) CD Transport needs repair. Esoteric states that there is only 1 "authorized" service center, & that's in California. Shipping would cost a fortune, as this puppy is heavy.

Everyone I used to know who had the repair skills this is going to need is either deceased or very close to being so.

It sounds way too good to throw away........

I'm in Tacoma (just south of Seattle). The problem is either the drawer mechanism, the very involved clamping system, or both. Slight chance that the drawer motor is involved, but I don't think that's the case.

Would appreciate any suggestions, especially those that take into account my low income status. This was a $2k transport in 1992; I don't think I can afford a comparable replacement; & the laser was just replaced around 3 years ago.
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 08-13-2016 at 11:23 PM.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

I have no clue who's in that area. I can offer this advice on shipping.

You are much better off finding a UPS Distribution Center, not a UPS Store, or creating a pick up from the UPS website. Using a UPS Store, office supply or mailbox store will always cost you more.

Also if they still offer home pick up, FedEx Ground is usually has the cheapest rates. At least from my past experience.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

You can call my friends at Definitive Audio and ask them but I think you are going to be shipping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Del Colliano View Post
    You can call my friends at Definitive Audio and ask them but I think you are going to be shipping it.
    Thanks! I've used them before. It's a bit of a drive, but beats shipping to Cal. The last person who put in the new laser about 3 years ago is in a town called Bremerton. He unfortunately retired due to health issues.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Definitive only services the brands they sell; but they referred me to Northwest Audio; looks like I've got a go; & they're "we haven't seen it yet" guess is it should be a relatively easy fix.

Since I'm likely going to buy the $350 Ian Hunter mega box set; both working & cheap are good things to hear right now! While my Oppo 95 sounds great on 24 bit, it doesn't sound so good on 16 bit (which is why I still have the Esoteric/Ps Audio 2 box cd player)
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 08-19-2016 at 08:39 PM.

I suppose the Oppo uses different DACs than the Esoteric. However it is strange that the Oppo sounds good with 24 bit, but not as pleasing with 16 bit material.

Glad you found someone to fix it and hopefully reasonably.

Just days after you posted this, my amp died. "The Guy" a lot of Sunfire owners recommend is is Washington state, of all places. With me being in Georgia, it's a $115 one-way ship. I blame your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I suppose the Oppo uses different DACs than the Esoteric. However it is strange that the Oppo sounds good with 24 bit, but not as pleasing with 16 bit material.

Glad you found someone to fix it and hopefully reasonably.

Just days after you posted this, my amp died. "The Guy" a lot of Sunfire owners recommend is is Washington state, of all places. With me being in Georgia, it's a $115 one-way ship. I blame your thread.
    Not sure whether to offer my condolences or chuckle!

The Esoteric P10 is a Transport only (Very low jitter; it actually sounded better to my ears when I bought it in 1992 than there $10k flagship of the time, the P2.

I have a PS Audio SL3 for my cd d/a (It unfortunately only does 96/20 (HDCD) at the top end; it's from 1999).

I suspect the why of what I'm hearing is the Esoteric/PS Audio has higher quality engineering but 24 bit is that much better than 16 bit. Even the few 44/24 releases (the most notable is the $300 Beatles USB key) sound better to me then most 16/44.

If I remember right, the Oppo 95 uses a Rotel audio stage. Rotel is good quality, but not OMG quality. Nonetheless, I still consider the 95 an amazing value.

I have a $200 Pioneer Universal Player; SACD on it sounds close to equivalent to cd on the Esoteric/PS Audio; but cd is truly mediocre on the Pioneer .
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 08-21-2016 at 03:33 PM.

The problem ended up being 2 worn out belts (or so I'm told). Northwest audio had me order the parts, & it's been around 2 months since I got the parts to NWA & they haven't changed out the 2 belts. I was promised it would be this week. I am getting frustrated to put it mildly.......