Average US Household has More Than Seven Connected Devices

Name:  2016-global-internet-phenomena-latin-america-north-america.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  10.1 KB

Our Internet connection seems to be getting slower and slower. It's mostly due to my wife's work, but our daughter has also turned into a video streaming fiend. As a result, we are upgrading our Internet service to the fastest we can get from our current ISP.

A quick evaluation on our router's stats shows that we have 15 devices using bandwidth; yes 15. I started counting and this may be fairly accurate. So today I read a report from Sandvine, a company which analyzes global Internet traffic.

Basically, the average household here in the United States has seven or more devices connected to their router. Here are some other surprising statistics from this report.

Netflix represented 35.2% of traffic on North American fixed networks. While this was a modest decline from the 37.1% of traffic it represented six months ago, this change is likely the result of improvements by Netflix to better compress their video library. Even with these improvements in streaming efficiency, Netflix’s traffic share on fixed networks in Latin America increased from 6.6% to 8.3%.
    • Amazon Video is now the third ranked downstream application (up from eighth a year ago) in North America, accounting for 4.3% of fixed traffic. Sling TV now appears among the top 20 applications on most US networks, but still accounts for less than 1% of traffic.
    • Streaming audio and video now accounts for 71% of evening traffic in North American fixed access networks. Sandvine expects this figure will reach 80% by 2020.
    • Cloud Storage (Dropbox, iCloud, Google Drive, etc.) has surpassed Filesharing as the largest source of upstream traffic during peak period on North American fixed access networks. BitTorrent now accounts for less than 5% of total daily traffic in the region.
    • The addition of video and voice calling is driving growth in Communications apps on mobile networks in both Latin America and North America. In Latin America, WhatsApp traffic share is now 7.4%, more than triple what it was two years ago.
    • In Latin America, Facebook and Google account for over 70% of total mobile traffic in the region—up from 60% reported last year.
    • Over 60% of mobile traffic in both Latin America and North America is now encrypted and Sandvine predicts some networks will surpass 80% this year.

So, where do I fall with my 15 connected devices? According to the report, I'm in the top 6%. I did always like scoring high.

So how many connected devices do you have?

I have 1 TV, 3 computers, 2 gaming systems, 2 phones, 2 tablets all connected to internet via wifi or hardwire. Also, I have the NAD receiver and Oppo hardwired as well. So, close to your 15.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Every time a new eReader comes out, my wife buys it. So, there are several of them.
    3 phones
    Chromecast
    HT Preamp
    Oppo Blu-ray
    XBOX 360
    3 computers, that I can count. Maybe more.
    Vizio LED
    iPad

I bet we actually have more than 15, but those are the active ones.

Hard to believe we managed most of our lives without the internet and we lived!
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleJ View Post
    Hard to believe we managed most of our lives without the internet and we lived!
    I'm not sure how we did it with using the card catalog at the library. Reading paper books, riding bicycles to get a Coke from the store, or stretching the phone cord into our room so we could have a private conversation.

LOL...we have over 20 I even have 4 high-end enterprise type switches in my house to handle the traffic.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    LOL...we have over 20 I even have 4 high-end enterprise type switches in my house to handle the traffic.
    David, that may very well make you a 1%'er.

I have 21 and four computers that aren't networked at the moment...not that it matters.
    Richard

funny thing is that kids today born of the internet age, will have no clue what to do if there is no internet. Oh the horror!
    Main:

I have 2 Networked pc's & lots of stereo gear that is connected by old fashioned cable & HDMI...
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1