The DR Website is Up Tp Over 98,000 Entries!

Please post there; this is becoming a very important resource (one caveat: the vinyl DR's are moderately worthless because it's impacted by the individual settings the fan/owner used n the Vinyl->Digital rip; the vinyl rips sound is also hugely influenced by pressing, turntable, cartridge, amount of wear, a/d convertors, etc. I.E.; while some vinyl rips are excellent & some are the best sounding version of an album, others will suck even with a good DR #).

For official digital; there are a lot less variables (though I do remember buying "Woodstock 2" from HD tracks & sounded like it was mastered from a worn out 8 track....)

Album list - Dynamic Range Database
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

One thing I learned in Music School was "rub all you want but you can't polish a turd!"

Why in the world would one want to start with shitty sounding vinyl and then make a digital recording out of UNLESS its literally the only way to archive a recording who's master had been damaged (think: Hendrix in the West)?

Start with the master tape. Clean up the recording. Remaster as needed. Deliver in high resolution 24-96 (or better) format and enjoy. I have ZERO interest in 1/2 the dynamics, all of the distortion.

Vinyl sucks. Always did and does so MORE today than ever now that consumers can get meaningful volumes of HD files at master tape (double the quality than vinyl plus) at the price of a somewhat expensive album.

I'm thankful for the Dynamic Range Database site. I have found it to be very accurate in determining which recordings sound better.

I know I keep beating this dead horse, but it's a perfect example.

The original CD release of Rush - Moving Pictures has an average dynamic range rating of DR14, which is pretty good for a Rock album. The first "high resolution" release of that same album is DR10. I own both versions and have them on my music server.

Personally, I would rather listen to the CD version. While it might technically be a lower resolution version, it is noticeably more dynamic. The HR version sounds lifeless in comparison. They remixed the album again, with supposedly better dynamic range, but I didn't buy it............again. I already own three different versions. How many times do I have to buy that album to get it to sound the very best that it can?

I'm a big fan of high resolution music. I just wish they didn't limit the dynamics when they release the titles.

They should hire Steven Wilson remix all high resolution music. Everything that guys touches sounds fantastic. StevenWilsonHQ.com | Official Website

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I'm thankful for the Dynamic Range Database site. I have found it to be very accurate in determining which recordings sound better.

I know I keep beating this dead horse, but it's a perfect example.

The original CD release of Rush - Moving Pictures has an average dynamic range rating of DR14, which is pretty good for a Rock album. The first "high resolution" release of that same album is DR10. I own both versions and have them on my music server.

Personally, I would rather listen to the CD version. While it might technically be a lower resolution version, it is noticeably more dynamic. The HR version sounds lifeless in comparison. They remixed the album again, with supposedly better dynamic range, but I didn't buy it............again. I already own three different versions. How many times do I have to buy that album to get it to sound the very best that it can?

I'm a big fan of high resolution music. I just wish they didn't limit the dynamics when they release the titles.

They should hire Steven Wilson remix all high resolution music. Everything that guys touches sounds fantastic. StevenWilsonHQ.com | Official Website
    I agree with you on Wilson. Love his music, also; especially the solo stuff (though PT is usually very good)
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1