Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.1 Receiver

9.1 Receiver

Hi guys,

Need some advise.

A friend of mine just moved into a new used house. The previous owner had 7 in ceiling speakers installed in the main tv room and 2 speakers in the outside patio area in the backyard. My friend purchased a Samsung 4K 65 inch tv and currently he doesn't have a receiver so he is only using sound from the TV.

He is going to wait for Thanksgiving/black Friday/Xmas shopping sales..

In the meantime, is there a receiver available at a $1,000 range that will accommodate all 9 speakers or should he get one 7.1 receiver and another 2.1 receiver..

All of the speaker wires, etc. are still there for the speakers and all in one location. I suspect the previous owner most likely had only one receiver to control all the speakers (indoors and outdoors).

Any thoughts?
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

A lot of the AVRs released in the past year can utilize 9+ channels, especially the Atmos-ready ones. 7.1 is becoming a rarity, and only the most basic AVRs are 5.1 anymore.

However, it sounds like he needs one with a second Zone option, if there are two speakers outside. Again, most modern AVRs have a Zone Two, but many of them are not powered, meaning he might need a stereo amp for outside.

I've never used the second zone on any piece that I have owned, so maybe someone else can assist with a specific model. A few of them can actually power the second zone, under certain conditions.

Thanks Tracy,

I suspect one zone maybe enough and 9.1 receiver is what is needed. Any recommendations?
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

From my understanding, having only one zone assumes all the speakers are in the same room. In your friend's case, two are in the patio area.

I think the second zone will be needed. I suppose you could manually set up the two speakers on a 9 or 11 channel AVR without that feature. However, anytime audio was being played in one area, the same audio would be going to the second, unless a volume control was installed for the outdoor speakers. I would imagine there would be times where your buddy might want to watch TV without having the outdoor speakers playing, and vise versa.

yeah, that is true. so most likely two zones if available..

Let's see if anybody knows of a 9.1 system with two zones.

Quick search in google got me the below.

Pioneer SC-57 9.1 Channel Elite A/V Receiver with 3 zone - $2,100
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eceivers/SC-57

Onkyo TX-NR929 9.2 Channel Network A/V Receiver with 2 zone - $1,399
    http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...class=Receiver

Denon AVRX6200W 9.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi - $1,299.00
    https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVRX620...dp_ob_title_ce

Yamaha RX-A2050 9.2 channel MusicCast AV receiver with built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth with 2 zone- $1,299.95
    https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-A20...p_ob_title_def
    Last edited by TrippleJ; 10-03-2016 at 06:23 PM.
    Main:

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

Can you get into a Marantz...

Looks like the below is the best bet for Marantz.

Marantz SR7010 9.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD AV Surround Receiver with Bluetooth & Wi-Fi -$1,199.00

https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR7010-Surround-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B014MWT9YY/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
    Main:

I like Marantz a lot. I would check them and Denon and see who has the better deal on what he needs.

I know that David has given favorable reviews on some later Yamaha AVRs as well.

On the Amazon website, there are a lot of negative reviews of the marantz...
    Main:

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleJ View Post
    On the Amazon website, there are a lot of negative reviews of the marantz...
    That's surprising, I've always read positive reviews of Marantz AVRs. I wonder if it's an issue with this particular model.