Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

A good many of the woofer driver manufacturers have designed woofers that have a lot of extension. I'm talking about the driver's ability to physically move in and out, thus moving a lot of air.

I have seen this used most often for automotive subwoofers, but home theater use would be a great application. I know that the people who DIY build infinite baffle subs are taking advantage of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Larger drivers move more air.

As far a one sub blending in with your existing system better than another, I bet it wasn't a result of the difference in the size of the speaker.
    In my case Tracy, I had to turn the velodyne down so low that it defeated its purpose. It was overwhelming everything else in the room. I could never get the right balance.

Quote Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
    In my case Tracy, I had to turn the velodyne down so low that it defeated its purpose. It was overwhelming everything else in the room. I could never get the right balance.
    It sounds like it was either EQ related or something due to the sub's placement in the room.

I know that my SVS sub performs much flatter with the EQ system on my new preamp, than previously. Also, it is in the wrong place for my room. I have it sitting where it's convenient and out of the way which is a bit of a tradeoff. I assume it's the same situation for most people.

Are you using any type of EQ-based room correction? I know that without it, sometimes your sub's frequency response can be far from flat, especially given how some frequencies can actually be emphasized by your room.

Either way, I'm glad you found a sub that works for your situation.

I understand the point NoUdont is making, over this last month I have been putting my PB-4000's though its paces. In the area of HT, it's a homerun knock out. In the area of music is where these SVS beast take charge. The power and its ability to reach such low Hz can be tricky to manage. Where a movie only has certain parts that have strong LFE sections, music has that continuing beat. I have been trying to do some YouTube recordings to show this, but I either have to have the mic (Tascam DR-05) so far back that I get a lot of that air hiss or be to close that the mic cannot handle the bass. Most music don't go that low, but the way pop/rap is recorded now days (engineered) they add in more bass than what's originally in the song. I did a test with one such recording (Lemon by N.E.R.D & Rihanna) I have played this song on the master bedroom system, Family room and my 2 channel in the living room. On the Family room system, the PB-4000's make this song come alive to levels not thought of, I played it up stairs in the master bedroom and could hear the polk audio PSW10 struggle to reproduce the same effect. I went back down stairs and played it on my 2 channel with my Fluance SX towers and it was like listening to a whole different song. The song sounded good on all 3 systems, but you could hear differences on each system. The 2 channel system just doesn't have the ability to go that low on the bass and just rolls off those deep low parts without trying to compensate. Those PB-4000's are just like a star player on a team, sometimes their greatness over shadows the rest of the team.

https://youtu.be/NfQe4aqTqhU
    Familyroom HT;
    AVR Pioneer Elite SC Lx502
    Blu ray Pioneer Elite 85FD
    Music Pioneer Elite N-50/Logictech Touch
    Display Vizio P series 55" E1
    Pamamax 5300EX

Your room makes all the difference in how flat any sub can be. The size, LxW ratio, sub placement, and even other objects in your room all play a huge part in how a sub acts.

When I had my sub in the rear corner it was far from flat. Even with EQ from my HT preamp, there were certain frequencies that were louder than others. In my case, moving it to the front between my left and the center speaker made all the difference. My response was much flatter.

I agree Tracy, but you have to take into consideration the power of a 1000 watt plus sub and even the design of a sub. Case in point, I had a 120 watt down firing sub in the master bedroom, it worked but I always thought it should be better. When I got the PB-4000's I had to make room for the Polk Audio 505's I had in the family room. I had a pair of Polk audio PSW10's I was using for my outside setup and wanted to move the 505's out there for that. I removed the Acoustic Audio down firing sub from the master bedroom, replace it with one of the PSW10 front firing, the change in sound was very noticeable and filled the room where the Acoustic didn't. I took the Acoustic audio sub to my parents to replace a small monoprice 8" sub. The sound from the Acoustic was great, had me thinking was I wrong about it. The Acoustic fills my parents family room (much bigger than my master bedroom). After thinking about how and why, I came to the conclusion that the Acoustic worked better at my parents due to the concrete slab under the carpet which doesn't absorb the sound as my master bedroom does which is on the 2nd floor of my home.
    Familyroom HT;
    AVR Pioneer Elite SC Lx502
    Blu ray Pioneer Elite 85FD
    Music Pioneer Elite N-50/Logictech Touch
    Display Vizio P series 55" E1
    Pamamax 5300EX

Very true about the room's construction materials. There are tons of things that affect any speaker's in-room response.

The room is actually the most important factor in audio quality. However, proper speaker placement, acoustic treatments, and a well thought out construction aren't quite as "sexy" as a few huge subs.

Yes, I'm guilty of that but I am trying to amend my ways.

The bigger the better
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    The bigger the better
    Wait, what?!?! Size does matter?
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    Wait, what?!?! Size does matter?
    Speakers need to move air. Bigger speakers can theoretically move more air.

As for the size of other things...........