Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A good many of the woofer driver manufacturers have designed woofers that have a lot of extension. I'm talking about the driver's ability to physically move in and out, thus moving a lot of air.

I have seen this used most often for automotive subwoofers, but home theater use would be a great application. I know that the people who DIY build infinite baffle subs are taking advantage of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Larger drivers move more air.

As far a one sub blending in with your existing system better than another, I bet it wasn't a result of the difference in the size of the speaker.
    In my case Tracy, I had to turn the velodyne down so low that it defeated its purpose. It was overwhelming everything else in the room. I could never get the right balance.

Quote Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
    In my case Tracy, I had to turn the velodyne down so low that it defeated its purpose. It was overwhelming everything else in the room. I could never get the right balance.
    It sounds like it was either EQ related or something due to the sub's placement in the room.

I know that my SVS sub performs much flatter with the EQ system on my new preamp, than previously. Also, it is in the wrong place for my room. I have it sitting where it's convenient and out of the way which is a bit of a tradeoff. I assume it's the same situation for most people.

Are you using any type of EQ-based room correction? I know that without it, sometimes your sub's frequency response can be far from flat, especially given how some frequencies can actually be emphasized by your room.

Either way, I'm glad you found a sub that works for your situation.