Planning the move to 4K

Based on budget, is it too early to jump on the 4K bandwagon? I looked at 4K disc players and they seem prohibitvely expensive at the moment, relatively much more than their display counterparts. Until my Yammy dies (I suspect I'll kick the bucket before it does) I can't justify purchasing a new AVR to support 4K pass through. I'm just looking ahead to see how I'm going to evolve my systems.
    Main/2nd/3rd System
    AVR Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V1900/RX-V1500
    Turntable ProJect Xpression III with Ortofon Red
    Cassette Deck Yamaha KX-800U/
    KX-800U/KX-630
    BluRay Yamaha BD-S681/Sony UBP-X800
    Media Player Iomega + 1TB internal drive/WD TV Live Plus + 3TB USB drive
    Display Samsung UN65KU6491 65"/UN55MU7000 55"
    Speakers Front:PSB Image T-45/Alphas/Mites,Center:PSB Image 8C/100C,Surrounds:PSB Image 1B/RBH A600
    Subwoofer Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 5/Energy XL-S8

4K disc players are downright cheap compared to first generation products from any other new format. If you do get a 4K TV, make sure it supports BOTH HDR10 and Dolby Vision. All of the 4K players have dual HDMI outputs to bypass your AVR for video, so you don't have to upgrade it at this point.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    All of the 4K players have dual HDMI outputs to bypass your AVR for video, so you don't have to upgrade it at this point.
    As a matter of fact, my new preamp is a total video passthrough. Whatever goes into the video portion of the preamp is unaltered, other than overlaying a GUI, going to the display. I think that many AVR and preamp manufacturers focus too much on video upscaling.

As someone who has never owned a television and only ever had projector-based setups I do not think it's time for 4K yet.

4K projectors aren't cheap, but really it's the lack of movies available in 4K that is a problem. Not many, and I don't think we'll see a DVD/BD-level of remasters for older films.

Plus, I think 4K branding overall was rushed, poorly planned and marketed, and is confusing to pretty much everybody. The BD era had lots of life left- there was no need for 4K, at leat not for the home.

8K (or more) is on the way anyway.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Brandon, I agree it was rushed as well. Furthermore, DVD should have been discontinued for single item skis in 2013 to increase sales of Blu-rat disc and just include a DVD in the BD packaging. To correct their mistake, the studios should only release new titles in 4K and include the BD all in one SKU so people can build 4K collections faster. Just my $.02 if I were king for a day.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Brandon, if you're basing 4K's value solely on the price of true 4K front projection, yea' I get it. True 4K projectors are still pretty expensive, but they are historically pretty inexpensive compared to the first 1080 CRT projectors.

It's a new technology, and it will take a while for 4K projectors to become truly affordable. The production numbers won't be there to lower the price much in the near future. As I'm sure you would agree, the number of people who would consider a projector are a lot less than those who would upgrade their flat panel display.

As for the lack of 4K material.......well you have to start somewhere I suppose. I'm pretty sure we had this same discussion when 1080i/p was introduced.