Help changing surround speakers location

Hi all,

I need some guidance about my surround speakers location.

At the moment the Left Surround and Right Surround are way too far from listener position (in front) and the Back Surrounds are closer (7.2 system). See pic 1.

I was thinking to move the LS and RS speaker to the red dots location in pic2. Then, the actual Back Surrounds speakers can be my LS and RS. What do guys think ? ... Are they in good position to be Left and Right surrounds or they are too far on the back?

Also, on the new proposed position for the Back Surrounds (red dots). Are they too high (aprox 7 feet from the floor)? Will they "interfere" with the ceiling speakers I'm about to install for Atmos (green dots)? (Horizontal distance between the red dots and the first green dot is around 4 - 5 feet)

Now that I'm installing new speakers want to make sure I put them in the best possible position.

I'm ok moving all four speakers if required. I'm just not sure what is the best location based on my room layout.

Pic1
    Name:  pic1.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  55.9 KB

Pic2
    Name:  pic2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  43.1 KB

Thanks and regards,

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Your explanation doesn't make sense. Are you going to put your back surround speakers where the red dots are? if so, they are OK there. Your surround speakers (left side/right side), should be to the left and right of the sitting position.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I don't run side channel speakers due to my room configuration. However, it is my understanding that ideally the side speakers should be as in-line with the main seating area as possible.

Not sure about Atmos positioning.

Tracy, it's the same with Atmos. Dolby's site has a white paper on speaker placement. Mine are to the side, but higher than their spec asks for due to room restrictions.
    David Vaughn

Sorry if I was not clear. But yes, I was looking into moving the back surround speakers where the red dots are. Is higher than Dolby specs recommend but figure will be ok.

Thank you for your quick response !!

You should be fine there...in an ideal world, your surround speakers would be in the "null" area left and right of your seating area, but I'd prefer them where you're putting them versus where they are now, which are too far out in front of you to be of any use.
    David Vaughn