DirecTV Now, Coming in November

Name:  directv.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  3.5 KB

DirecTV has just announced that their new streaming service, DirecTV Now, will be available next month.

DirecTV Now is the company's solution for those looking to reduce their monthly entertainment budget. The service will cost just $35 per month and will include what the company is calling 100+ premium channels. Although the exact channel lineup hasn't been announced, the company says it will include offerings from Time Warner, NBCUniversal, Fox, Disney.

Since DirecTV is now part of AT&T, the company says that the service also includes unlimited mobile data while using DirecTV Now. This, I assume, is for AT&T mobile customers and a good way for the company to woo mobile users from Sprint and T-Mobile.

The $35 fee is on a month-by-month basis, meaning there are no contracts. This sounds like good news to me. Hopefully, we will see a channel line-up within the next week.

I will be keeping an eye out for developments, as I would love to reduce my monthly payment. Anyone else interested?

the problem i see with these types of services are for the lazy bastards like me who puts on a sporting event and proceeds to hit the guide and surf mindlessly until i find something i would like to see.

if i can do that, then i might consider it based on quality. cable gives me damn good reception with no fade or dropouts.

Tracy,

Just to be clear, ATT is NOT yet a part of DirectTV. They have a long path to go for FCC and FTC approval. The path is made longer by the fact we are in an election cycle and it will probably be the next administration that decides. That does not mean that cannot partner up on some deals, but those deals may be changed down the road by government order.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    Tracy,

Just to be clear, ATT is NOT yet a part of DirectTV. They have a long path to go for FCC and FTC approval. The path is made longer by the fact we are in an election cycle and it will probably be the next administration that decides. That does not mean that cannot partner up on some deals, but those deals may be changed down the road by government order.
    I think the FCC approved it last summer, although I'm not sure where it sits with the FTC. So my bad, on the ownership part.

Although the banks were too big to fail, AT&T might be too big to stop. Now they are trying to gobble up Time Warner and I'm not sure that any regulatory agency really opposes it.

Tracy, I made a mistake and was not clear. All the components of Att and Direct TV and Time Warner may not continue as is after the merger. I should have written that the services are not yet finalized and the Feds could change everything. It's very confusing, but, in general, the FTC will have to determine if their services stop competition. For example, Time Warner lets many services treat their movies, but now may only allow Direct TV to do so. The FTC may block or amend those conditions. Further, Direct TV may only have one news network, CNN, and refuse to carry others. It's confusing and I tried to be brief.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Oh I totally think this would be a borderline monopoly, eliminating a lot of competition in entertainment programming , Internet service, and mobile phone service.

If AT&T gets DirecTV and Time Warner, it's going to be hard to compete with them. I could be a good thing for subscribers, or it could be awful.

Tracy, whenever we limit competition it usually is awful. Remember when Att owned all phone services?
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp